Will upgrading to XP SP2 eliminate virus and trojans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a scan of my PC using Noadware there seem to be around 40 trojan/viruses detected. By contrast Lavasoft detected only 6 cookies and even stinger does not locate the t/v's as effectively as noadware. Now to remove this lot Noadware require me to register and then run the necessary removal software. For this they want 35$ which I would imagine to be pretty reasonable, problem is that I am reluctant to do an on-line debit card transaction knowing that the old hard disc is virussed up to the t1ts! Also there does not seem to be anyway of simply sending a cheque.

I am running XP SP1 and am continually receiving reminders from the MS to download the SP2 updates. Question is will this do the necessary cleaning for me or is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
No, SP2 is a service pack albeit a major one which I recommend you install. It is VERY big, so I hope you have broadband, otherwise, order the disk. Microsoft recently released 'their own' anti-spyware package which you can get free here.

As I have mentioned in previous threads, there is no single package that can give you 100% protection, and anti-spyware alone won't protect you from viruses. Also, make sure that any software you get is kept up to date.

Whatever spyware or virusprotection you're choosing, make sure your normal programs to connect with the internet are allowed.
Just found out why one of my programs (online shop catalog program) had problems updating my changes: new version of virus software (higher version) was interfering with the program :confused:
Changed some settings in the virus software and it's working again as it is supposed to do.

LINK

.. Note on NoAdware: NoAdware was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2, 3) including exploitation of the name "ad-aware" (1). Earlier versions of NoAdware were also the same underlying application as Adware Hitman, Consumer Identity, Protect Your Identity, SpyBan, SpywareAssassin, Spyware C.O.P., SpywareKilla, The Adware Hunter, & TheSpywareKiller. Over the past few months, NoAdware has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising) and released a new version of NoAdware (version 3.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard NoAdware as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.
(Note: other domains associated with NoAdware include: adawareinfo.com, adwarenomore.net, adware-real-free-scan.com, adware-removal.biz, adwareremoval.net, free-adware-remover.org, free-adware-removal.net, free-adware-remover.org, free-adware-scan.com, free-spyware-check.com, nomorespyware.net, online-spybot-scan.com, spybotfinder.com, spyware-destruction.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 11-17-04]

These utilities are recommended :-
Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoft.de/

GIANT AntiSpyware (now available as Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta)
http://www.giantcompany.com/

Pest Patrol
http://www.ca.com/products/pestpatrol/

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

Webroot Spy Sweeper
http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php
Spy sweeper is free to try for 30 days ..

;)

Sponsored Links
Igorian: Thanks, Ian. I shall, as they say, refer myself to your earlier work.
Yes, I do have an SP2 disk but I will try to eliminate the miscreant software before getting on to that. I have used the MS stuff in your link but as yet this has not eliminated the said bugs ie GoldenPalace.com .

WoodU: Thanks, I will make a check to ensure the existing progs are not affected by anything I end up installing. Good tip.

Pipme: Excellent info, Pip. That's a bit worrying about Noadware. There is a rather hectoring manner in their blurb. Shan't be touching them then. Anyway the items that it detected I seemed to have got rid of with spybot except for 2 trojans: FastVideoPlayer and MagicControl and 2 malware items: EPlugin and Instant Access. I'll give a test to the other stuff and then beef up the protection with some decent proprietary software. Still a bit worried about doing an on-line transaction with a bugged-up (sic) PC. Thanks again, Pip.

Trojans ? Have a go with this trial software, I have used it .. didn't have any trojans - I think...... TDS-3 has a good name in the anti-trojan stakes ..
DCS TDS-3
This Oz lot seem to have a good reputation.
There is a forum hosted here Link DCS Forum At Wilders Security Forums .. Another useful place for info, I do not think they would host DCS forum unless it was Kosher kit !!

Do relate any outcomes ... Is much enhanced method of 'thanks !' ;)

Right, I have run a scan using TDS 3. Found loads of bugs. I want to purge the lot. Seems very good value but (sorry to ask this again) is it safe to go ahead and do an on-line transaction when there are so many bugs in the system?

You do not need to transact on TDS-3 until the 30 day trial is up.
Do you utilise up to date Anti-Virus program ?
Ditto for a firewall ?
If you do not, then you will be infected again no doubt.
I think it is wise to have this kit installed and as far as one can have a clean system before transcting on line...

Do not forget to back up at least your registry.... before any mods are carried out.
Do carry out some research on what has supposedly been found... tis worth a google or two before commiting any 'clean up' prog to do it's business.
All else being equal, and a coupla of successful re-boots post clean-up, I would run the anti virus / trojan progs again.. to be sure they have found everything ... Apparently 'CoolWebSearch' is a difficult parasite to eradicate .. Merijn Bellekom is a guy with a fair bit of nouse on this stuff he resides here Merijn

Also here Link : read the FAQ A good site with lots of info and links to other useful stuff.
;)

Thanks very much indeed, Pip. I will get on with this right away. I will keep you informed, if not enthralled, with any progress. Thanks again for the links. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back