Win 7 keeps asking for activation, then resets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to you! Be nice nervous lol,

My brother had a Dell PC, and the power supply went BANG, so he binned it. My computer died a little while later of BIOS /hdisk failure, it showed a screen, but stuck, and beeped a lot. I changed the BIOS in mine, no luck.

So I bought a new motherboard ASUS, something or other, as the form factor for the Dell won't fit, and the Dell uses a slimline PSU, and cannabilised both to make one.

So, as my hdisk was deadish, and my psu wouldn't fir his computer, put his sata disk, with Win7, into my case, and my dodgy disk with XP Pro, that won't boot as secondary.

So it boots etc, finds everything, everything running good, but it keeps on saying 'Activate Windows", when it is a legit version of bought Windows, and even though I have the origional code, still won't.

But when it gets down to 2-3 days, it resets, and says 15 days or so, but it is annoying for the pop ups; how to stop this?

Sponsored Links
As far as Micro$oft are concerned the fact you changed the Mainboard means it's a different computer and you will need to buy Windows again.

Welcome to wonderful world of Micro$loth

You have 3 choices.

1: Suck it up sunshine and buy Windows again
2: Source naughty version of Win 7 (torrent)
3: Install Linux

You can probably source a hack to bypass Activation but would you trust an unknown hack ? I sure as heck wouldn't do ANY online purchases or online banking etc after doing that !

The link takes me to re-buy windows. It is a legit version!

But the questions I posed haven't been answered, it says 'Needs Activating', with so many days left, then resets itself to many days left, so the pop-ups are annoying. How to remove the pop-ups, if it isn't going to expire? I'm not trying to do anything illegal here!

I might have a version to sort this out, but I forget what it is called, and probably deleted to cure WGA issues for Win XP, Vista and 7, but I forget what it is called, stored on my faulty XP disk drive, does anyone have the program name, that I could search it locally?

I found something called SLMGR/REARM online, is this useful to force it to stop hassling me?

Remember LEGIT version of Win7, in a different system, was Dell, now Asus, was 1GB memory, now 2Gb memory, now 1xsata, 2xide...

Just need to sort it out before my computer dies again! argh!

Sponsored Links
It does not take you to rebuy windows but I see that they have had to remove the link from non members.

Google "Windows Loader 2.2.2" and that will sort you out.

alternatively look for 'win 7 removewat'

You likely have an OEM version of windows, rather than a full copy.

An OEM version is what comes with retail computers, it costs about 1/4 of the full price of windows, and is liscenced to THAT computer, as said it now considers you have a new computer.

If you ring them up, and explain that the motherboard is to replace a broken one, you *might* convince them to re-activate it.

If it is a full version of windows (as in you have the windows box and CD's, and NOT just a recovery disc), ring them up and they will re-activate the new insallation no problem.

AFAIK, it was a bought version of Win7, I've tried to contact my brother, who bought it origionally, but so far only have the windows key. Not the box or CD etc..a hard man to reach.

So a few leads to follow, cheers!

Does anyone know about this CMD program that I mentioned to force the key to work? SLMGR ??

I just don't want to mess it up or break it, as it is all a good system, just Windows getting confused I think? Plus the IDE disk that has none booting XPPro, now used as a data disk, that works when it likes...

Thanks for the advice.

JRRTolkien";p="3188805 said:
AFAIK, it was a bought version of Win7, I've tried to contact my brother, who bought it origionally, but so far only have the windows key. Not the box or CD etc..a hard man to reach.
You don't NEED the box, but if you are certain it had one, rather than it being an OEM, just ring microsoft.

The key will tell them it is a full retail version, and they will re-activate it.

This is standard whenever re-installing windows on a new computer.

You don't NEED the box, but if you are certain it had one, rather than it being an OEM, just ring microsoft.

The key will tell them it is a full retail version, and they will re-activate it.

This is standard whenever re-installing windows on a new computer.

The key point in my post was "AFAIK", and "unable to contact the person", which renders posts illogical, due to people not reading posts..?

If people don't know are unsure, don't write. But don't ignore important messages by the poster to form opinions regarding situations that you don't know? Then choose to ignore other important information given to them, don't write and give false information, because bad information is worse than no information.

What AronSearle told you is 100% correct.

Just ring up Microsoft and they will ask for the key. If it's a Retail version they will re-activate. They might even re-activate an OEM version. The only way you'll find out is ring them up.

What I already did was try that, and the phone rung then went *beep beep beep*, then dead, so they clearly don't want to know, which is the reason I ask here. If you guess and don't know, don't write.

It is very easy to write incorrect information that you believe true, but is better to not write anything at all, then nobody is misled into a dead end, or breaking their systems..

So think, before you write.

What I already did was try that, and the phone rung then went *beep beep beep*, then dead, so they clearly don't want to know, which is the reason I ask here. If you guess and don't know, don't write.

It is very easy to write incorrect information that you believe true, but is better to not write anything at all, then nobody is misled into a dead end, or breaking their systems..

So think, before you write.

You failed to get through once, so you decided not to bother trying again?

Oh my digital life !! Daz holds the keys...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back