Wind noise down chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have not lit our fire for about twenty five years and cant see it being lit any time in the future, is there anything i can do to stop wind noise coming down the chimney and stop heat escaping up it?

Sponsored Links
Chimney Balloon, or cap chimney and block up fireplace.

http://www.chimneyballoonstore.co.uk/

modchimneyballoon_LRG.jpg

How or what do i need to cap the chimney? what size balloon would i need?

Sponsored Links
bikeit, Hi.

Both the balloon and the chimney cap are in effect "Off the shelf" bits of kit, Google chimney balloons and there are a range of them available a quick measurement of the chimneys "throat" will allow you to get a correct size for your needs. From time to time it will need to be pumped up a bit as over time they do loose pressure. Watch out for debris, soot Etc. gathering on top of these things [can be messy]

As for the cap, any decent Builders merchant can provide same.

CAUTION ! dampness / condensation WILL occur in a completely Un-Vented Chimney, this can lead to Sulphate attack where a dark stain WILL begin to appear on the outer surface of the wall and at times within the Property as well.

One Idea to prevent the formation of Condensation is to allow ventilation from time to time [but not during periods such as we are going through now] simply deflate the balloon [watching for debris on top of it] then re-inflate the balloon, after a period of time, and because the top cap does have holes in the sides the ventilation will happen.

Ken

The balloon does not make an air tight seal and should allow enough air passed to keep things dry.
Wind noise can be reduced with suitable capping vent.

I cannot get my hands up to measure what size balloon i need so i took a few photos to show maybe someone will know the size i need.

Get a black bag and part fill it with crunched up newspaper then shove up the chimney.

Job done.

Andy

i had my chimney shortened right down and capped off with flags, but had air bricks fitted on the side to vent it. no noise and no damp, yet!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back