Window boards on bay windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a great deal of helpful advice on replacing some old window boards in my house. Not at all straightforwrd (not that I expect anything to run smoothly!) but I've found a method I'm going to use.

The section I'm little unsure on is the bay window boards (the others are just straight sections). This is a 50p style window - you can see in the pic below (and yes, it was a right mess under the existing boards - they were nailed into thick wooden wedges in the masonry and that had probably been previously loosened when the windows were replaced probably more than 10 years ago - we moved in here December last year).
Since made good by the way!

baywindowboardstakenoff.jpg

No chance of using the old boards as they had been damaged by UPVC overboards (glued down as much as is possible) and the bull nose ends were hacked beyond recognition.
My query is with the angle where the central board meets the right and left board...hopefully I can just transfer the angle onto the new softwood boards (and measurements of boards) using the old ones as templates. Now, if this wasn't possible would it be a case of using a sliding bevel and halfing the angle method - then joining underneath with mending plates?
I could then place the entire '3 piece boards' onto the masonry below and fix and level up as per my chosen method?

The final finish will be gloss paint.

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Really no need to use a slidig bevel. Just bisect the angles

Another simple way of splitting the angle, use two boards,resting against window cill ,from where the boards cross on the front edge to the inside corner gives a perfect angle ,repeat on both internal angles just incase they differ

Sponsored Links
Yes - thanks all - will use the front board on top of the side boards to bisect the angles...makes complete sense really. I was perhaps veering into skirting territory (where the verticals come into play...or mischief depending!).

Rough mock up, but this is how I understand it....just need something to balance the blinking boards on the lower rear end!

windowboardbisectangle.jpg

Cheers.

And just what does the OP use to accurately measure the angles :?: :?:
You don't need to measure the angles. same as half the time you don't need to measure things with a tape

Another simple way of splitting the angle, use two boards,resting against window cill ,from where the boards cross on the front edge to the inside corner gives a perfect angle ,repeat on both internal angles just incase they differ
:idea: A man after my own heart!

The OP has drawn up a 3D version of my response to his question else where which matvhes HWW sdescription as well

Rough mock up, but this is how I understand it....just need something to balance the blinking boards on the lower rear end!

windowboardbisectangle.jpg
As you can clearly see the bisection points are used to draw the cut line......

Northbeach, I'd consider levelling-up and temp fixing the two outer boards - you'll need to do that to get accurate joints in any case

Northbeach, I'd consider levelling-up and temp fixing the two outer boards - you'll need to do that to get accurate joints in any case

Well, I'm going to fit some battens to the rear of all the boards which will make the rears roughly level with the front masonry sill (the rear masonry sill being approx an inch lower). I guess I can then pack the boards so they are level all around...not sure how I would temp secure them to be fair...putty? Mortar then remove once I've measured? I'll figure something out - many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back