Window colours agreed with planning/conservatin question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, so we have had planning permission with discharging conditions on our windows, we are in a conservation area. Although I told our builder I wanted white he has agreed with planning on cream and I was wondering if we went ahead and painted white is it likely to cause a whole load of trouble? Is it best to ask permission? From what I gather locally they don't normally come to the site & check but you never know do you?

Sponsored Links
Worst case scenario you would have to have them repainted cream I guess.

White / Cream, really - I cannot see there being an issue here - if you want white, go for white, once they have a year of weather they will be an off white so close enough to cream anyway - can you imagine an enforcement officer following this up?

I agree it would be petty and there is not much difference but we have had a few probs along the way with them which just makes you a bit paranoid about how fussy they can be I suppose

Sponsored Links
Why not paint them cream? Brilliant white often looks so unsubtle on older buildings.

White / Cream, really - I cannot see there being an issue here - if you want white, go for white, once they have a year of weather they will be an off white so close enough to cream anyway - can you imagine an enforcement officer following this up?
Stick around on the forum or delve into the archives and others would disagree.

Why not paint them cream? Brilliant white often looks so unsubtle on older buildings.

I was thinking a more soft white than brilliant tbh. My hubbie says go with an ivory or lighter cream (not yellow) that way we are keeping to what they say. but what I am finding hard is inside our house our walls will most likely be cream (hubby not in to colours) and I would like the windows and window sills to be white to break it up a bit.

White inside and cream outside? A little more work but that way everyone is happy. :D

Why has your builder agreed something with planning in contravention of your specific instructions?

to proceed with works, not happy about it but if we carried on discussing colours we would never get the building work started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back