Window handles stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a good search around but I can't find an answer so I'm hoping some kind soul here can help!

I have 3 or 4 stuck handles on my double glazed windows. They were fitted by the previous owner of the house in about 1999. The key turns ok and seems to unlock the handle because the button will then push in but the handle won't turn, as if it's still locked.

I can't remove/replace the handle because I can only access the screws with the handle in the open position. So it's catch 22. I don't mind replacing the handles if I have to, but how do make them turn so I can get at the screws?

I don't want to damage the windows by forcing them. Is there any trick that I can try?

Sponsored Links
Well, with my own little problem today, I have been wondering if I could have saved myself a lot o grief by giving the lock area a sharp tap with a hammer (with some protection/block of wood etc). Just enough to loosen a part that's supposed to slide but is just stuck.
Maybe worth a go?

Thanks :D I'll try that. Itoccasionally works on car doors when they won't open from inside or out! Maybe I could try gently heating the handles up with a hot air gun also...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back