Window installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Weve had to have part of our wall rebuilt next to one of the windows and have revealed the wooden windows have been what seems a bodge of installation.

Its a 300 year old property so everything is in lime motor apart from these windows . It is now apparent the windows have been installed using foam as a middle layer with cement motor ontop, both side. Is this a major concern or should I go around an remove and re-instate everything with just lime motor?

My biggest worry is there is nothing supporting the lintel above the window casement if its just foam.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, so I could be wrong! :)

It sounds like you may be overthinking a little!
Although it is not the most sympathetic of installations, expanding foam is a recognised way of fixing findows in place.
It is better if there are also mechanical fixings though! ;)

And the windows shouldn't be supporting lintels in the first place! - the lintel is there to stop excessive loads being transferred to a fragile window.

As for the mortar; the most sympathetic solution would probably be to replace with lime. But if you are not having any issues with the mortar, that can be a job for another day!

I hope that helps :)

Expanding foam is very pften used to fill voids and help fix the window, Mechanical fixings should always be used ( eg screws! ) and as Randomgrinch says that window should not be supporting that Lintel , The Lintel should be ' tied ' into the brick/stone work, at least 150mm wider than the window opening ideally..each side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back