window lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i've been having an ongoing problem with a window leak? i live in a 1900s built terraced house and there are thick stone lintels above the three windows at the front of the house (2 upstairs 1 downstairs). its as if the front of the house has eyebrows above the windows if you get what i mean?

when we first moved in the front windows were aluminum framed and noticed the downstairs front window was leaking so we replaced the front windows to upvc, but the leak is still there :confused: im convinced its not down to the workmanship of the new windows as the leak was there when we had the old ones in. i think is down to the lintel above the window, im guessing its soaking up the rain water and is coming inside soaking around the inside of the window and pulling my curtain pole off :rolleyes:

is there any good waterproof paint i could paint the lintel with?

Sponsored Links
Thompsons water seal or similar

But it may not be just the lintel ..... you need to check the brickwork above it and any cill of the window above too, and if need be coat the whole lot

hummmm.....that could be tricky due to the rest of the house being solid red brick unless i could get a clear base paint?

the lintel does look in abit of a state! befor the new windows were in the lintel was plastered over even tho that didnt help much because it was leaking then. so i was just going to paint it with a waterproof paint and see if it makes any difference.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back