Window Lintle Issues and DP Tray ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had damp penetrating for a good while above a set of windows on the exposed end of a stone house. I've had the end scaffolded and I have removed the tiled window overhang. I've found that the Lintel has been chomped by woodworm (active - well they were until I nailed em) and was also suffering from wet rot caused by the damp. I've removed the the rot, treated for wetrot and woodworm and I've applied wood hardener and sunk a few pellets within the lintel. It looks as if there is enough lintel to not have to replace it.

Above the lintel is a line of bricks and then the stone begins. (I'll include a photo tomorrow). I noticed what looks like the remainder of a brittle DPC or some sort above the course fo bricks below the stone. A repair by some cowboys a while back appears to have cut this DPC off at the wall and then connecte da new membrane below the tiles over the wooden overhang. The house is 1920s. Would it be a fair assumption that this is some form of Damp proof tray and the fact it's been broken could be the main reason for the damp ? I'm guessing the water that is penetrating is dropping down the cavity and hitting the lintel and then coming into the room ? I have repointed outside and will look to apply some form of sealer to the stone but will I need to have this damp poof membrane replaced and if I do am I wise to replace the lintle at the same time ? How far up the inside of the cavity would the DP tray need to be fitted ? Also would it be safe to acrow from the scaffolding outside If I decide to replace the lintle ? The stonework above is in pretty good nick.

Cheers and Sry forthe length..

Sponsored Links
Sounds lime your wooden lintel has been acting like a sponge soaking up all the water and releasing it slowly across the cavity.
Your approach should be to find where the water is penetrating ie through the tiled section.
Maybe water proof the stone with a soloution.

Do you mean acrow supported by the scaffold if so a big no, use the sill if you can.
Pete

When you say use the sill how do you mean ? Do you mean to place the supports within the window frame and jack the window frame ?

DPC.JPG

Excuse my diagrams.

window.JPG

Shows the structure.

windo1.JPG

What's left of what I guess is the DPC has been broken off at the line of the wall.

window2.JPG

There are 15 courses of stone above the lintle to the apex of the roof. Each course is about 4 inches thick.

Sponsored Links
that`s the remains of "Astos" damp course .....one of three made by the French , the others are Porthos and Aramis ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back