cavity tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Im having a bay window lintel replaced (steel/rsj for a wooden beam) and after stopping the work due to suspected dry rot (it was just wet rot in the end) my surveyor recommended putting in cavity trays to deflect the water away from the new lintel.

My builder has come back to me with a new price and it seems very high - £400 higher in fact.

Beyond the actual replacement of the lintel and materials (which my original quote was for) what work is required to fit the cavity tray? From what I can tell it sits on top of the lintel and leads outside above the flashing.

Sponsored Links
if your istalling a new lintel anyway and i presume you mean a catnic litel, then that will act as the cavity tray providing you put the stopends on. Then its only a case of putting in a couple of weepholes.
Sounds like you bein taken for a ride mate.

Sponsored Links
Do catnic make lintels for bays :confused: .. You have a builder and a surveyor ...so why ask a bunch of saddo`s on a DIY forum :LOL: well, 1 saddo anyway :oops:

Do catnic make lintels for bays :confused: .. You have a builder and a surveyor ...so why ask a bunch of saddo`s on a DIY forum :LOL: well, 1 saddo anyway :oops:

Yes catnic do make splayed lintels!!!!! If you wanna go two storey that is.
But if its just a ground floor bay the a normal catnic will suffice.
But then you probably know all that already!!!!!!!!!

either way the bloke obviously is not happy with the builders quote and surveyors have a bad habit of making over the top suggestions for problems that can be resolved a lot simpler and more cost effectively.

You will find that on the scope of things the work involved in putting the cavity tray in (if your putting the steel in anyway) is minimal.

And as the steel will be the same profile as a catnic anyway then it can easily be adapted to act as the cavity tray itself.
If the openings within catnic span then put in a catnic, if not just use the steel, either of them can act as a cavity tray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back