Cavity tray

Sponsored Links
Walls built from engineering bricks with strong mortar have been known to let in more rain than softer brickwork.
It happens if cracks appear in the beds. Known as the Overcoat/Raincoat effect, the hard brickwork lets a lot of water in through the cracks, whereas the softer brickwork soaks it up evenly.

Ok then...

..Staffy blues that have not cracked...er.. and has been built well in the first place....will not let in water.

ALRIGHT!

:LOL:

The point is, all brickwork will stand an amount of soaking before saturation occurs.

This is because firstly, most of the time a large amount of rain falls vertically and barely soaks the brickwork.
Secondly, when any rain does get blown onto the brickwork it usually dries off.

Complete saturation is rare.

If i were a customer with a choice between wrecking my in-tact wall and having a retro fitted cavity tray that will hardly ever be used, or suck it and see, i know what i would prefer.

Exposed/coastal mebbe. Even then i would only be worried about vulnerable elevations.

Sponsored Links
I've seen many a brick skin on site where the mortar has been poorly applied and you can see light through so how that's gonna keep the rain out is anybody's guess. noseall you know this is one of the reasons why we actually have cavity walls right! :mrgreen:

I do Freddie, yes i do.

However, i have yet to witness a weep vent that has omitted water or indeed seen one that has any evidence that it has omitted any water.

The only thing they are good for is insects and dust from what i can see.:cool:

I can see the logic but I can't always see the sense, especially when the cavity wall insulation is blowing everywhere. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back