Window measurements for DIY install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to attempt to install my first UPVC window, replacing an existing very old UPVC window. It'll be certified by building control.

I know I need to measure from the outside and its brick to brick. The width is simple, brick to brick.

But the height is a little difficult to measure. The top of the window externally appears to have a lot of (what I think is) mortar and possibly a 0.5mm steel lintel (but not sure). I've included a photo of the top of the window from outside and inside. I think the window there now is a bit short and the new window can be higher up to fill the void if I remove the mortar that's there.

The inside has a trim at the top of window and if I remove this you can see a gap and the other side of the mortar (?).

Does anyone know what that is above the existing UPVC window?
Is it just mortar that I can remove?
Is the thin strip above the mortar a steel lintel?

IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg

Sponsored Links
From the inside it looks like a concrete lintel but from the outside you can see a steel lintel. Just measure the height of the existing window. cant go wrong then.

A concrete lintel inside makes sense, explains why it looks neat/straight from the inside. But agreed, I'll order the same size window. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back