Window Replacement - Approximate Estimate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm contemplating a project in my home where I replace the entire window (four panels at the bottom and two panels on top) in the image below with a single panel of double-glazed glass, like in the second image.

The dimensions are 126cm X 195cm. I wanted to get a rough estimation of how much this would cost, assuming that I would need to replace the glass and the entire frame.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ducky

View media item 107710
View media item 107711

Sponsored Links
I'm only a DIY'er so may be wrong!

Sorry if this sounds presumptuous! :oops:
From the view out of your window, it looks as if your home is in quite a prominent location.
Is it a flat?

If so, there may be issues with changing a window that is out of keeping with the others and may need freeholder agreement etc.

For a very basic uPVC window, you can get an idea of costs from online calculators, such as:
https://www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk/window-designer.php
A supply only cost may be around £300.

For a high end finish, closer to the one in your photo, with a slim aluminium frame, the price would be nearer to £1k + fitting.
https://www.abbeyaluminiumwindows.co.uk/

This assumes the window will be non -opening.

Other options such as frame colour, the addition of trickle vents etc. will also need to be counted.

...and it never hurts to send off for a few quotes! :)

Thank you. Yes it is a flat, but there have been other tenants in the block (who I don't know personally) who have managed to get the required freehold permissions, so I am hoping to get the same.

I am surprised they have got permission, as to make that a fixed window you are reducing the potential ventilation of the room....that is normally frowned upon and would fail building regs, unless you can prove there is adequate ventilation available based on the room size. The ventilation of buildings is one thing that the government is getting quite strict on due to black mould and the likes of covid, to the point that nearly all windows , fitted on or after June 15 this year will require trickle vents ( unless alternate , approved ventilation is fitted)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information. Truth is that I need to change my windows as they are 20+ years old and hardly provide any insulation. The freeholder isn't taking any responsibility (they never have for any residents in my development) so residents have started footing the bill and changing the windows themselves, at times in a layout different to the original.

If I am going to be shelling out my own money to upgrade my windows then I would like to get something nicer than the current layout, as has been the case with other residents. I have contacted a few companies and they told me that replicating the existing layout of windows isn't really possible because they don't make the four-panel frames like those that are used in my flat.

I checked the link that @RandomGrinch sent and am drawn towards the 3 Pane Aluminium Patio Door. I could use that to replace the windows in the below photo. Note that the bit that I outlined is what I posted yesterday. I should hence get more ventilation. I would be able to get doors with a white border so that it somewhat resembles the current layout.

If I were to go about this legitimately (unlike a majority of my fellow residents) and at least attempt to get permission from the freeholder then what points / arguments do you suggest I could use to get them to approve the 3 Pane Aluminium Patio Door? Note that there is a balcony outside the windows, I am on the 7th floor and overlooking a river. Hence the only people who would have a direct view of my external windows are those living across the river, which is more than 300 meters away.

Thanks,
Ducky

View media item 107713

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back