Window sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Noticed some bad gaps and cracking to the sealant on a couple of our windows. Would it be best to use some kind of expanding foam before window sealant or will sealant be enough?
Also would it be a good idea to try and remove this old stuff first? Pic below

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230912_144552826.jpg
    PXL_20230912_144552826.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links
Chisel/scrape it off and see what's there first.

Blup

We were getting damp window reveals on the inside, paint flaking off etc due to the silicone failing. We contacted the housing association and they came out and put new clear sealant over the old white sealant.

Will this fix it as I thought it had to be removed and redone?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
above would be good to know. Happy to try and remove it all and add new, but it will involve a lot of window sealant if just using that. would it be best to fill with foam first? thanks

Looks like £1 a shot caulk.

Why is lots of new sealant a concern? It can't take more than a tube or 2. Usually the sealant bead is just to cover the surface.

We were getting damp window reveals on the inside, paint flaking off etc due to the silicone failing. We contacted the housing association and they came out and put new clear sealant over the old white sealant.

Will this fix it as I thought it had to be removed and redone?
Thanks
Bodge job

Looks like £1 a shot caulk.

Why is lots of new sealant a concern? It can't take more than a tube or 2. Usually the sealant bead is just to cover the surface.
not a concern, more a question of efficiency - would it be best to use something else in the gap first before going over with a bead of sealant?
Also, would folks use caulk or sealant?

Remove all of the existing sealant and see what's there, you can get (rigid) foam fillers to insert first to prevent the void (if there is one) being filled up with sealant but they have a cost too.

not a concern, more a question of efficiency - would it be best to use something else in the gap first before going over with a bead of sealant?
Also, would folks use caulk or sealant?
If you seal the surface properly, then the gap doesn't matter too much. It's even possible the gap is not wide enough to get anything in there. Caulk cracks as you old caulk did. It's used by people in the cabal for creating future business. Unless you are in the business, I would not recommend it.

I intend on removing it and replacing it. It looks terrible. What sealant, regardless of price, is the best to use for external sealing of Upvc windows to brick.

Thanks all

What sealant, regardless of price, is the best to use for external sealing of Upvc windows to brick.

Steer clear of any own or unknown brands like Wickes own for example.
What about B&Q's own brand like no-nonsesne? I found them to be pretty good. Wickes' hybrid polymer is fine too. I used that to fix roofs and mould into gaskets for plumbing. The performance of that exceeds the carp provided by the fittings manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back