Window Sill Replacement - how to level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

So I'm in the process of replacing a windowsill in our kitchen which had basically every dent, chunk etc missing from it. It was a wooden sill which was coming away anyway.

I have taken the sill up today and noticed that below it is basically...bricks and mortar, however the plaster line is higher than the level of the brick (see pics).

What's going to be my best course of action here please folks? I'm thinking filling with something and levelling off or just using packing wood, but then how do I secure the new sill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sam

Sponsored Links
Dobs of compo (plasterboard adhesive) laid across the window opening and the window board dropped on and pressed down to the correct height and level OR two rows of packers at something like 300 to 400mm centres laid across the window opening an levelled (front to back and side to side). The window board is laid atop these, they are then drilled and counterbored before drilling through into the masonry of the wall beneath with an SDS/masonry drill (7mm drill bit, 7mm plugs, #10 or 5mm screws - often 80 to 100mm long to get through the board, packers/dabs and fix into the masonry below) and screwed down. If the wall beneath is a stud wall, then skip the masonry drill and brown plug and screw straight down. Packets can be of cuts of softwood or plywood or plastic window/door packers

After it has set (if using dabs), or been screwed down, fill the gap beneath the window board with plaster. Screw holes in the window board can be filled with 2 pack filler and sanded flush. Note that whilst PB adhesive is normally sticky enough to hold an MDF or softwood window board on it's own, it doesn't always work, so for a belt and braces approach add a few screws drilled and counterbored and long enough to fix into the wall beneath

Note the use of the term window board as opposed to window cill (sorry, but that's joiner-speak)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sam, fit soft wood window board and cap it ,finish off with a nice clean silicon line job done. Capping sits over existing calls when having upvc windows installed. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back