Window Tinting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I suffer from skin damage from UV light. I want to get my Windows tinted to block out some of the harmful rays. I have had some quotes to apply film to my Windows.

I just wondered how easy it is to do this my self and has anyone else done this?

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
I fitted a mirror tint to a minibus (LWB mk1 Transit) and it was pretty easy.
I would expect a better job from a pro.

You need to ensure that the film actually does block UV.
also that it is the allowable amount as driving with too dark windows is an offence.

The windscreen would be an issue

When doing the van I just mixed washing up liquid and water to a spray bottle, and squeegeed (?) it on, went ok
It's kind of like when you covered school books with film

It is illegal to have the front windows tinted, so unless you plan on sitting in the back I'm not sure it's going to help you too much :(

No it's not.
my car is tinted by the manufacturer all way round.

But the front and windscreen must allow 75% light transmission
Many people won't tint windscreens aftermarket

Sponsored Links
If the glass is curved you might need a hairdryer or heat gun to "stretch" the film. I would only have a go as a DIYer if you have a car with flat glass on the parts youd be tinting. Plenty of soapy suds using a plant sprayer bottle on the glass and the film. Use an old gym membership card credit card etc and rubber squeegee.

I had 2 cars done for the same reason. Rears went limo black and had the fronts done just lightly so they blended in better.
The installer led me to believe the front wasn’t allowed but did it for me anyway, maybe because they already had a light factory tint.
You could not really tell they had been done on the front after the tint.
It’s a skilled job to do it properly and not being able to tell a film has been applied.

Traffic police carry a device that will test the front tints if they suspect it is to dark. 15% tint on the front is the legal tint I believe anything more and you could get pulled and points for dangerous driving.

No it's not.
my car is tinted by the manufacturer all way round.

But the front and windscreen must allow 75% light transmission
Many people won't tint windscreens aftermarket

Front sides are 70% and if you've had the rears done in an average dark tint (35% say) your front windows will show up to dark with pretty much any tint on em.
Most people go very dark on the rear screen which males everything darker inside as well.

I have to say I thought glass blocked UV also.. maybe its a different frequency?

In any case illegally tinted glass is a construction and use offence not necessarily dangerous driving.

Myth #3: Sun can't penetrate through windows.
Reality: Glass filters out only one kind of radiation -- UVB rays. But UVA rays, which penetrate deeper, can still get through. That's why many American adults have more freckles on their left side than their right -- it's from UV exposure on that side through the car window when driving. To protect yourself, apply sunscreen to any exposed areas (like your hands, forearms, and face) before getting into your car, especially in the spring and summer months, says Anthony Mancini, M.D., head of pediatric dermatology at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. If you're buying a new car, consider one with tinted windows, which keep out almost four times more UVA light than regular ones. You don't need to worry about putting on sunscreen when indoors unless you or your child spends most of your time near a window (for example, if your child's desk is right next to one).

Cribbed from https://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/10/living/guide-to-sun-safety/index.html

Sponsored Links
Back