Window tinting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting a few windows if my house tinted for privacy i.e You can look out from inside but it gives a mirror effect from the outside.

I'm not aware of any building regulations regarding this. I'd appreciate your inputs.

TIA

Sponsored Links
My friend you should note one thing that the law only prohibits tinting which prevents a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the room. It does not prohibit all tinting or tinting below 70%. The Law therefore implicitly permits any tinting which does not prevent a person from seeing or viewing the inside of the house. Although it mentions a desire to clarify the rules based on inquiries from District Justices and Police, there is nowhere in the new rules and amendments where it specifically prohibits window tinting that does not violate the actual law

are you sure that is not the case for cars?

I have often seen tinted office windows

There are lots of reflective films available designed to restrict light transmittance, but not specifically for privacy as they generally only work if the room your viewing from is darker than the room you viewing otherwise they will work in reverse if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Hi texto,

I don't think I've ever answered a question on these boards as I don't really know much! You probably have already had your tinting done and will never see this response, since it's been over a month since you posted your question.

I don't think there are any laws at all for home window tinting. As breezer suggested, I think it's only for vehicles. I mean, you could keep your curtains drawn all day and night, can't you?

As for tinting, a few things to consider. You may wish to check the specifications of the tint, such as how much light it will let through. Some tints may not let enough light through and in the dark winter months, you'll have to turn the lights on in daytime if you want to see what you're doing! They will keep the house cool in summer, but also reduce heat coming in in winter.

Another thing is that the tint may still allow someone walking up to the window and seeing inside, as most don't offer 100% privacy. There's a house just up the road from me that has home window tinting. The corner of one of them is already peeling off. I haven't tested the peeping inside theory yet though!

Hope it's not too late for this to help!

LOL - there are no laws for tinting windows in a building
roflol.gif

Consider a 100% tinted window in a sort of red colour with greyish horizontal lines every 65mm.

Should anything resembling this be banned too?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back