Window with stains in between glass panes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This window has dry water marks within the glass. I assume it needs to be replaced and I think it’s triple glazed but was unsure. Can someone identify this from these images?

Also, I was planning to remove the edging and measure the actual glass before I order. Is that the recommended approach?

Attachments

• IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3424.jpeg
    IMG_3424.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
Seal broken so moisture getting in?
Those perforation holes have silica behind that takes up moisture. Saturated I guess causing problems?
You can get a window glass scanner but like myself you probably will have to remove to measure unit thickness as not worth buying one.

Overall Size can be measured without removing beads

Seal broken so moisture getting in?
Those perforation holes have silica behind that takes up moisture. Saturated I guess causing problems?
You can get a window glass scanner but like myself you probably will have to remove to measure unit thickness as not worth buying one.

Overall Size can be measured without removing beads
The water stains are within the panes of glass. Not on the outer or inner pane. Hope that makes sense.

If this isn’t repairable, would measuring the thickness tell me whether it’s double or triple glazed?

Yes. When seal breaks and silica gets damp you get condensation inside glass seal. Silica dries it out leaving stains. Eventually that won't happen and water starts forming.
Do you think that's what's happening?

I've seen an insect in the sealed unit flying around once. I've also seen a hand print as glass not cleaned properly when made. Could it be not cleaned properly when made?

Sponsored Links
As Wayners is alluding to the sealed unit had ' broken down ' the dessicant ( not quite the same as silica gel but is a good way to explain it ) within the spacer bar has become saturated and no longer removes any moisture getting into the unit, and thus you get the condensation, starts of as a small patch , and eventually, will turn the glass white as the water and glass react together. That white stain will never be removed if left too long. Ultimately, and the cheapest way , is to replace the sealed unit. If you are competent in removing the beading then that is a good way to find the exact height , width and thickness of the unit. It looks like a 4/6/4/6/4 make up to me , so triple glazed with 3 bits of 4mm glass and 6mm bronze spacer

Thanks guys. I've read the above a few times but struggling to take it in.
The stains within the glass unit were not there from the outset and have developed over the last 12 months. Window was fitted 5 years ago. I am comfortable to remove the beading and measure pane. The above suggests that the thickness will inform whether it is double or triple glazed?
Is there anything I can try before I replace the glass unit?

Thanks again.

No the thickness won't determine if its double or triple , as they do triple and double glazed in both 24mm and 28mm units BUT when you remove the beads , if you take the unit out you'll be able to see if there is 3 panes of glass or two ( I suspect 3 looking at the pictures but hard to be 100% sure as I've seen double glazed units made with 'twin 'spacer bar before ). The white stains would have got worse over the year , it's a result of the unit 'breaking down ', hence they weren't there at the beginning.
You say the windows are five years old... was it a company who fitted them? If so they could well still be covered under the warranty.
There is nothing you can do to stop that staining, other than replace,any other potential method renders the sealed unit no longer sealed and destroys any thermal properties and highly unlikely to remove the white staining

Thanks for all the responses. Are you able to suggest a ball-park cost for this unit? I can remove/fit myself.

Would need a size and whether it's double or triple glazed before we could even contemplate a price lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back