1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7: User Profile Problems on Laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by DIYNotIan, 5 Jan 2015.

1. DIYNotIan

DIYNotIan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

I am still a fossilised WinXP user and I still love to use my PC. My Win7 knowledge is therefore pretty poor

But my girlfriend is letting me have her Win7 laptop to use for when I'm on the move.

The only problem is that she ran into difficulties with it a few years ago. From her hazy memory, it would seem the problem is something to do with a corrupt User Profile. I helped her at the time, but unfortunately my memory is quite hazy too. I remember that she thought she had lost all of her files, but that I found them for her elsewhere on the laptop.

It seems now that there are two profiles running concurrently, with some data being saved into:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\

And other stuff going to:

C:\Users\Amanda

From what I've read, part of the problem might be to do with the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

But it seems that all of the problems I read about are slightly different, so I wondered if anyone here might be able to help me sort this laptop out?

Happy to answer any questions and check anything out to help with the diagnosis.

Many thanks

Max

2. Sponsored Links
  3. timbook

timbook

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Probably not what you are hoping to hear but I'd recommend a fresh install for lots of reasons. Just back up anything you need to keep and format and reinstall a fresh copy of windows. Make sure to backup your drivers. Or, you could run system repair from a windows disk?

4. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom