Windows covered in condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Many of the double glazed windows in our house are often covered in condensation each morning and I have to dry them all off.
The one in the bedroom is the worst, the left side is covered top to bottom and then tapers off off across the window.

This is a downstairs room, the colder it is outside, the worst the condensation.
window.JPG

Any idea's why this is happeneing, do I need new windows?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Trickle vents, as suggested by the Jurassic Spark, are the answer. Fitted as standard these days. We're having a bedroom window replaced this year to fix the problem as it's done such a good job in a smaller room upstairs.

No vents, these are quite old windows.
If night locks are locked window partly open, then yes but this will let the cold and noise in which kinda defeats the reason for having double glazed windows.

So you have to accept that the damp / mould will continue

What do you do in the summer?

So you have to accept that the damp / mould will continue

What do you do in the summer?
If it's hot at night then we open a window but I wouldn't expect condensation in the summer.

This doesn't happen in all rooms, the living room is fine, so is the kitchen, down stairs loo, back room, but the front 'snug' (I hate that name) is the one shown in the pic.
Upstairs, all the rooms.

If it's hot at night then we open a window but I wouldn't expect condensation in the summer.

This doesn't happen in all rooms, the living room is fine, so is the kitchen, down stairs loo, back room, but the front 'snug' (I hate that name) is the one shown in the pic.
Upstairs, all the rooms.
Only happens where you are breathing with home shut.

Hi
Many of the double glazed windows in our house are often covered in condensation each morning and I have to dry them all off.
The one in the bedroom is the worst, the left side is covered top to bottom and then tapers off off across the window.

This is a downstairs room, the colder it is outside, the worst the condensation.
View attachment 334975

Any idea's why this is happeneing, do I need new windows?
Thanks
I bet the glass is just clear float 4mm with a silver aluminium spacer bar

If you replaced the glass with soft coat low e planitherm + warm edge spacer + argon gas, you would get much less condensation. Try getting it done on the bedroom window and see if it improves things

I doubt increasing ventilation will solve your problem, the problem is due to the temperature of the inner pane being below the due point made worse by curtains closed which stops warm air from the room reaching the glass + I expect your heating is off over night.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back