windows xp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my comp has blacked out on me about 4 times now/ .
when online or not , what happens is i hear about 2 beeps from the comp box with all the wires in [ mother board etc ] and then screen goes blank about 30 secs, then comes back on with the following-

event log message,s enter setup to view.
warning.
error.
resource conflict-pci network controler in slot 02.
bus:01 device function:00
press [ F1 ] to resume [ DEL ] to setup.

what i have done each time is to press [ F1 ] to get it back to normal service again.
any advice welcome. is it heading for a breakdown or somat. regards. r.r. :(

Sponsored Links
I suggest that you use [DEL] to enter setup and view the event log that is being offered - this may yield more information.

In the meantime, what make/model is your PC, and how old is it?

hi, softus/ hope this helps,
model-emachines.
windows xp home edition.
version.5.1.2600
service pack 2.
version.x86 family 6 model 8 stepping.10
e.machines 330.
not sure on age/ maybe around 10yr old.

as for the next time it does it i will press the DEL to setup and see what it comes up with.
someone said it could be harddrive on way out.

if i havent covered what you need please let me know. regards. r.r.

redrunner said:
someone said it could be harddrive on way out.
Well that sounds like a poor bit of random guesswork - it could be just about any component in the system.

Has anything been added to/changed on/removed from the PC recently?

Sponsored Links
cheers, softus/ only thing ive added lately is a front audio socket module with card reader and usb port -into blank cd bay, as softus sugested - re, posting on -27/03/07.
and before that a new printer into rear usb port. but it started to do this black out/ shutdown/ business before they came on the scene, as for any new programes and such/ nothing new.
my eset .nod32 security scans all stuff as normal.
. ive even done a full emachines restore to see if that helped, but still done it.
as for the sugestion about hard disc on way out, that was via 3rd party who had,nt seen the full report i posted.
one last thing is machine is only 4 yrs old maxium, ive been reading stuff that came with it when i bought it, -date created-30 dec 2004. -bios ? 17/oct/00:00:00 ?. .
regards. r.r.

redrunner said:
cheers, softus/ only thing ive added lately is a front audio socket module with card reader and usb port -into blank cd bay, as softus sugested - re, posting on -27/03/07.
Me? On 27th March? Really? Oh well I suppose I could have done.

one last thing is machine is only 4 yrs old maxium, ive been reading stuff that came with it when i bought it, -date created-30 dec 2004. -bios ? 17/oct/00:00:00 ?
Sorry - I can't interpret this paragraph - could you possibly try again?

And what happened to trying out the [DEL] option?

:) sorry , i meant a reply from crafty/ as i used the only jack socket input to plug my headset into i had nowhere to plug my speakers into, so that was the posting i refered to. 27/03/07.
as for last paragraph it was that i had found me handbook so was able to say machine ...[ not 10 yrs old ] but more like 4 yrs old. ]
and i cant try the .[del . to setup ] untill it blanks out again .
hope ive cleared the misunderstanding up. regards. r. r.

I would expect the said Event Log to be available at every boot, not just the ones after a failure - have you tried viewing it?

hi, softus. no i havent tried veiwing event log/ ive allways just pressed the [ f1 ] and carried on again.
is there anyway i can find an event log to see what it says instead of waiting till if and when it does it again. ?.
also would my security -nod32 -matbe have any think to do with it ? .because another family member has just informed me that since they installed it they have had nothing but trouble with there comp/ so deleted the software usind add/remove programs the comp asked if they wished to restart the comp now for changes to take effect which they did. and now the comp wont boot up at all keep coming back to the boot menu i.e wish to start windows normally/ last good config/ safe mode which ever one they press it keeps going back to the same screen and wont boot up. the screen also says this is due to either a power failure or a recent hardware or software installation. [ no power failure ].
do you think there is any link between my prob and theres ?.

one last thing / when nod 32 does a full scan it comes up on the report - c\windows\system 32, dev.exe. probally a variant of win32\ reboot trogan.
regards. r.r.

Please try not to take the following personally, but you make it really hard to decipher what's going on.

Taking your last point first, if I understand you correctly, you have some anti-virus software that reports a virus infection. So why, in the name of all that's holy, haven't you done something about it? Did nod32 offer to remove the virus? Do you let it? Does it succeed?

If the answer to all of those questions isn't "yes" then please go ahead and make it so that it is. If this means installing a different anti-virus package, then do that, but make the system uninfected before investigating anything else, otherwise all bets are off.

Regarding the other things...

redrunner said:
hi, softus. no i havent tried veiwing event log/ ive allways just pressed the [ f1 ] and carried on again.
is there anyway i can find an event log to see what it says instead of waiting till if and when it does it again. ?
FFS press [DEL] instead of [F1].

also would my security -nod32 -matbe have any think to do with it ?
You have to trust your anti-virus software. If you don't, then get some that you do trust. I have no 1st hand knowledge of nod32, but it gets some good reviews.

do you think there is any link between my prob and theres ?
No. There is no link. They are different machines.

one last thing / when nod 32 does a full scan it comes up on the report - c\windows\system 32, dev.exe. probally a variant of win32\ reboot trogan.
Please see my first comment above.

hi, softus. i will do a full system scan with the nod32 and get back to you when when its done/ but looking at the threat log it says the only 2 it found were quarentined.
as other comp has nod 32 and was coming up with same log. ie-c\windows\system32 deven.exe. etc, i thought maybe it would help/ any way i see im only clouding the issue, sorry.
will get back to you with update. regards. r.r.

hi softus, have done 2 full in depth scans with nod 32 and its all clear, just the 2 that i mentioned which were quarentined/ deleted/ . so all clear there.
so alas its back to my first posting, looks like ill have to wait till -if and when it does it again .
and then press -del- and see what it comes up with from there, unless you can suggest anythink further.
i guess with the imfo ive given its not that much to work on , and not a common problem. i will post an update of anythink new. thanks and regards. r.r. :)

redrunner said:
so alas its back to my first posting, looks like ill have to wait till -if and when it does it again.
OMG I can't believe that I still haven't got through to you.

How do you interpret this suggestion:

Reboot now and press [DEL], then look at the event log.

:?:

:)yep finally you got through to me, i done reboot and del and got the menu up with [.phoenix.bios setup utility. ] at top of screen, and at bottom of screen its got several things to do .ie. -f1 help-select item-change values...
esc and up down arrows ..select menu..enter select ...[ well i guess you know the rest ] thing is i dont know how -or what next to get into error log/ . ive had a go but am stuck.
could you please advise next step.
regards. r.r.

I don't have access to a Phoenix BIOS tonight, but do you see a screen that looks anything like the following?

bios9.gif

If so, then click on "DMI Event Logging".

Sponsored Links