Windscreen repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a small crack/chip in windscreen, likely cause stone from road.
The size is at the most extreme measurement about 17mm, a five pence piece will cover it.
It is located directly in front of driver(mid steering wheel) but low enough down to be outside the driver line of vision, whilst driving.

Can this be repaired by the use of an resin injection kit? If so any recommendation on best kit to use?
I ask this question as I have conflicting information between Churchill Insurance, Autoglass Repair, AA and local MOT testing station.
Regarding the legal requirements of this repair.
Any input, information, recommendations and clarity would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi PBoD - hope you had a good holiday.

I would suggest that you take your vehicle to your local MOT testing station, and seek their opinion, based on the car being submitted for an MOT would it pass or fail with the crack or repair. I would have thought they would give you this advice free of charge.

If I can quote the MOT Testers bible for you-
'Chips and cracks in the windscreen directly in front of the driver, in the area swept by the wiper blades are acceptable if they are less than 10mm in diameter.
In the rest of the swept area, up to 40mm damage is acceptable'.
Good advice from Lou.....ask the tester if he'll pass your car once the crack is resin filled.
John :)

Hi LooPrEvil,
Holiday was great, chilled out, spent too much money and drank too many cool frosted beers :mrgreen:
Hope you had a good time to?
I have spoken to my mate who runs his own MOT services and test station, he has not seen the offending article but I have explained what it is, he seems to think it can be repaired rather than replaced and that is the issue.
It needs to be sorted out one way or the other before any further damages are caused.
But Insurance company and Autoglass are saying it's a replace and would fail MOT.
Where AA and my mate(MOT tester) are say different.
Replace would cost £70 via insurance claim and likely to effect renewal, even though they say they don't.
Repair would cost less than £10 using a resin kit. If that was acceptable.
who should I take notice?
To me it sounds like Insurance company and Autoglass are in each others pockets as the questions and advice where very much the same.
The MOT is not due until next May so that is not a worry, just a case of getting it sorted out.

Sponsored Links
If I can quote the MOT Testers bible for you-
'Chips and cracks in the windscreen directly in front of the driver, in the area swept by the wiper blades are acceptable if they are less than 10mm in diameter.
The area is more than 10mm, but a five pence will cover it.
The crack is situated directly in line with steering wheel, to the bottom of windscreen, it's a single wiper for whole windscreen and sweeps about 50mm above the crack.

Glad you had a good holiday PBoD, so did I thanks. You had a duty to help the local bars and spread your economic wealth amongst them all ;)

I would take the advice of the MOT tester, as supported by Burnerman - thanks John, as he is the one who can pass / fail the vehicle.

As you say, get the £10 repair done to prevent any further damage, particularly as we are approaching the cold evenings, and you should be ok when you get your MOT done next May.

I have used one of those ebay kits and they work very well - if you follow the instructions carefully :oops: it passed the MOT OK but now two or three years on it has started spreading again. I have been told by my friendly garage man that I can get it replaced by a private company for not much more the £100.00 - not Autoglass or similar. I would rather do that than risk affecting my insurance.

Peter

Back