wire a two way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a two way light switch & I am struggling as my wiring is different to the guidance examples I have found.

I have two lights. I have one black wire and two red. The green/yellow wire is separate & attached to the back plate of the socket. One of the red wires seems to be specific to one light. The socket I am using has two sections each containing COM, L1 & L2. Any suggestions? I have had both lights working but not switching on & off as they should.

Sponsored Links
When you say you have a two way switch, what you really mean is two gang, correct?

If that's the case, it should be a simple case of re-instating the wiring on the new switch in the same way as the old one. However, seen as you're asking here, it would be safe to assume you didn't actually take a note of the old wiring :rolleyes:

The red wire that you have already identified as controlling one of the lights should go into L1 on one of your switches. The black wire will probably be the switched live for your second light, and should go to L1 on your other switch. The remaining red should go to com on one switch, then be linked by a short piece of wire to also feed com on the second switch.

It is possible (but less likely) that the black wire may in fact be your permanent live feed, so if the above arrangement doesn't work you should try changing around the unidentified red and unidentified black wires.

EDIT: If the new switch has a metal face plate, it would also be a good idea for you to run a short length of green/yellow earth wire from the terminal in the backbox to the earth terminal on the new light switch.

Thanks will try that. The previous switch was for four lights didn't note it down working from memory didn't expect it to be this difficult.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back