Wire demister in room with dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on wiring a demister pad in a room with a dimmer switch please.
We don't want a separate switch for fear of it being left on.
So it needs to come on when lights are on and turn off immediately or shortly after.

Have currently wired up a Manrose Remote Timer which has a switch live in, perm live in, neutral in and L & N out to the pad. Works fine if I replace the dimmer with a normal light switch but doesn't send power to the pad when using a dimmer.

Do alternatives exist that work with dimmers? How else do people wire up demisters with dimmer switches without having to have separate switches?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is such a thing as a dimmer switch which also has a non-dimmed output.
Only think I can think would be to supply the demister timer from a PIR, and leave the light on the dimmer.

The MK rollover dimmers were available years ago but not now and had a rocker switch that fed a dimmer and had the aux un dimmed terminal. Ideal for switching on the wall lights while being able to dim the centre lights. Tap Tile touch sensor switches also have a separate dimmed and non-dimmed output.

The easiest solution is to use a grid switch with a 1 way switch to turn everything on/off and a separate dimmer, if you wire the dimmers L1 & L2 terminals together it won't matter if the dimmer button is accidentally pressed it will always be 'on'.
dim switch.png

It is possible to solder a wire to the inside of the dimmer, after its on off switch and before the dimming circuitry for the demister, but it's not recommended to modify products in this way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back