Wired in new Ceiling light but circuit tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took down the old ceiling light today & fitted a new one, however when I turn the electric back on it trips the circuit
Everything seems ok on the wiring:-
"live" on light to red x 2 on ceiling rose
"neutral" on light to blue x 1/black x 1 on ceiling rose
"earth" on light to green/yellow x 1 on ceiling rose
also additional earth under nut on metal cover of light fitting connected to household earth (large brass screw on ceiling rose)
Does this seem ok?

The only other thing I can think of is the old light fitting had 3 x 60w bulbs, this has 8 x 60w, could this additional wattage be causing the circuit to trip, if so what should I try - go foR a lower wattage bulbs say 40w or upgrade the circuit breaker? (not sure how to do this)
The house is only 10 years old so the electrics are fairly modern

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Adrian

Sponsored Links
doubt the extra load is causing instant tripping!!!

Are you sure you have reterminated everything correctly?

Are you sure you have got the switched live in the correct place??

In the ceiling rose how many sets of connector strips do you have?

If its a standard one you should have 1x3way/1x3way/1x2way all in a straight line.
If so then the centre one should be a 3xway with only incoming reds in it.
The outer 3way should have a number of blacks in it, usually one less black than the number of reds in the centre.
The other outer should be a 2xway and contain only 1 black with a brown or red sleeve on it.
If this is how your rose is wired then connect the red/brown from the fitting into the single black with the sleeving. (This is your switch feed).
Connect the black/blue from the fitting into the one with a number of blacks in it. (This is your neutral)
Under no circumstances connect any from the fitting to the reds in the centre block.
Connect all earths to the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
doubt the extra load is causing instant tripping!!!

Are you sure you have reterminated everything correctly?

Are you sure you have got the switched live in the correct place??

oharef - what do you mean by switched "live"?

There are two insulated cables coming through the ceiling
one carries a black, a red & a green/yellow wire, the other carries a blue, a red & a green yellow earth wire
They enter the ceiling rose block connector as follows:-
3 hole connector has blue & black in same hole
3 hole connectore has 2 reds in one hole
2 hole connectorhas green yellow earth in one holel, other green yellow earth goes to large seperate brass screw connector

Light comes with 3 wires only identified by a strand of cotton running through the wire, blue which i assume is neutral, green which i assume is earth & the other with no cotton strand identification i assume is red "live"
The light fitting also has a green yellow wire in the cover under a nut & I assume this is connected to the green/yellow large brass screw on the rose
The wires in the light I have attached as follows to the rose:-
blue to spare hole next to blue/black in rose
green to spare hole next to green/yellow in rose
other wire which I assume is "live" to the spare hole next to 2x red wires in the rose

LOOK AGAIN AT THE CABLES.

They did not make a twin and earth cable with blue and red and an earth. They did make a 3 Core and earth which had red, blue bare earth and a YELLOW. The yellow is not an earth but more likely the switched live to the fitting. We need to know whats at the switch to advise further

Nick

LOOK AGAIN AT THE CABLES.

They did not make a twin and earth cable with blue and red and an earth. They did make a 3 Core and earth which had red, blue bare earth and a YELLOW. The yellow is not an earth but more likely the switched live to the fitting. We need to know whats at the switch to advise further

Nick

Checked again
Black, red & bare earth in one cable
Blue, red, yellow & earth in other cable
Both earth wires are bare copper with a yellow/green cover on the wire entering the big brass screw

Some pictures would also help.

In the mean time have a look Here

I'll have another look at it tomorrow in the light (excuse the pun)
& put some pictures up if I'm still having problems

Thanks to everyone for their comments & help so far

Regards

Adrian

oharef - what do you mean by switched "live"?
This is a genuine question, motivated by curiosity, not a disguised dig at you:

What made you think it was OK for you to fiddle with your wiring when you must realise that you don't know anything about how lighting circuits work?

In the ceiling rose how many sets of connector strips do you have?

If its a standard one you should have 1x3way/1x3way/1x2way all in a straight line.
If so then the centre one should be a 3xway with only incoming reds in it.
The outer 3way should have a number of blacks in it, usually one less black than the number of reds in the centre.
The other outer should be a 2xway and contain only 1 black with a brown or red sleeve on it.
If this is how your rose is wired then connect the red/brown from the fitting into the single black with the sleeving. (This is your switch feed).
Connect the black/blue from the fitting into the one with a number of blacks in it. (This is your neutral)
Under no circumstances connect any from the fitting to the reds in the centre block.
Connect all earths to the earth terminal.

Thanks to all those who commented (apart from the last 2 posts) Followed Connys advice & everything working now
To the last 2 posters I thought the idea of coming on here was to ask for help? At all times when working on the light I had the electric switched off so there was no safety issue & yes I don't know much about lighting circuits which is why I asked for help or are you supposed to be an expert before you come on here?

Regards

Adrian

To the last 2 posters I thought the idea of coming on here was to ask for help?
Why did you think that it was OK for you to start fiddling with your wiring before you had rectified the situation of not knowing how it worked?

At all times when working on the light I had the electric switched off so there was no safety issue
You have created a short circuit. I don't regard that as not being a safety issue.

yes I don't know much about lighting circuits which is why I asked for help or are you supposed to be an expert before you come on here?
Certainly not, but why did you think that it was OK for you to start fiddling with your wiring before you had found out how it worked?

You mean you've never come across any unknown unknowns that you didn't expect, BAS?

The guy just got a couple of wires mixed up when replacing a light fitting - it happens, especially when you have yellow wires and unsheathed earths, and light fittings whose terminals are laid out to look nothing like the original rose.

Or have you never made a mistake?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back