Wireless CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience of installing a home wireless CCTV system? I am looking for a DIY system which I would connect up via wireless. This is due to a number of burglaries over Christmas in my area. I am fairly DIY/computer literate. So I am after some brand name recommendations and ones to steer clear from. Probably only x2 cameras in the first instance. Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
My experience with wireless cameras is hit and miss. I have had 2 internal wireless cameras and had many connection problems with them where they would lose connection to the router and required a reboot to get working. My external cctv is wired and runs flawlessly. Wireless can experience problems from many variables, if possible I would run wired and even better POE (power over Ethernet) will mean one Ethernet cable from where the camera is being mounted to the NVR or a POE switch.

My 2 pence worth if your hell bent on using wireless I'm sure someone will advise of good brands.

Do not waste your money on wireless equipment,you will be better of put a wired kit in.Wireless DIY kit very poor quality resolution.
Wireless equipment require batteries /remote power supplies to work and you will constantly replacing batteries or connecting to the nearest plug socket!

Thanks for your replies. Wired does seem to be the way to go. What is your experience of POE IP cameras verses coaxial type? What Brand of IP camera is generally good value for money? - I probably would be looking at HD (1080i)

Sponsored Links
What are your thoughts about live monitoring, recording, remote viewing, alarm/notifcations etc...? Some of those questions might help narrow down or evaluate your budget. But yeah I would stay clear of the generic cheapo wireless cameras that are on the market.

Has anyone had any experience using ucam247 equipment - sold on amazon?

I had really good experience with my hikvision cameras and found it very easy to integrate them to my home NAS surveillance station, which has a two camera license included.

I bought a bullet and a dome camera, I already had some spare cat6 so just needed a cheap gigabit PoE 8 port switch. Total cost about £250, but I already had the server and cable. You can do it with a PVR instead of a server, but they cost a similar amount to a server and the server is useful for other things.

My setup..
http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_157_i5608.html
http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_158_i5605.html
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS416play primary
I also have another sync'ed as backup.
connected via Netgear GS108 - I think or similar

The NAS has this:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/surveillance/7.2

For me there are a couple of must haves on the setup.
The ability to set a grid on the image of activity you do and don't want to monitor. For example my front camera includes pavement and road, but I have excluded the pavement and road from the event grid so only movement on my land triggers the file to be saved. The NAS also backs up to both devices working on the basis that the would be crim, may break in to recover his footage.

I'm looking to add 3rd and forth cameras directly to the back server via the network to avoid the need to real time sync

The NAS also backs up to both devices working on the basis that the would be crim, may break in to recover his footage.
I also use a Synology NAS with a couple of Hikvision cameras. I have the cameras acting as the movement trigger to reduce load on the NAS (I only have a DS2 series)

This may be useful for you as long as your broadband is up to it but I have all activations uploaded to the cloud using the built in 'cloud sync' package to sync my CCTV video folder. I pay for an Office 365 sub as it comes with 1TB cloud storage and use that. An camera activation starts uploading immediately and a typical file uploads within a minute.

Its a good idea but my files include internal cam footage, so don't really want these on a cloud server particularly azure/365 with its known security exposures, not to mention a server subject to the US patriot act. I guess I could restrict footage to external cams

Its a good idea but my files include internal cam footage, so don't really want these on a cloud server particularly azure/365 with its known security exposures, not to mention a server subject to the US patriot act. I guess I could restrict footage to external cams
should I be investing in a tin hat then :rolleyes: and hope the US government don't want to watch my neighbours cat setting off the motion detectors in my garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back