DIY CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced CCTV system
I can install at my mothers home.

Hard wired/Wireless? It needs night vision and a recording system.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What's your budget?

Is it for piece of mind or to be used as evidence?

Haven't set a budget as such just wondering what's avaliable. I suppose tI be able to use it as evidence is the whole purpose of CCTV otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Basically 3 guys tried jumping her fence into her garden the other day at 4am, luckily my mum was awake and heard them and scared them off but some CCTV with a HDD would be good.

Put some 'anti climb paint' on the top of the fence, once touched it stains clothes and is very hard to get off hands. £10 per tin, very cheap and quick, screwfix sell it so get it put on today.

Then you can think about making your mother house more secure.

If you posted a picture of the rear of the house you would get good recommendation on the security that is needed.

Andy .

Sponsored Links
and if you use the paint (a good idea) don't forget the signage.

Our home is no longer our castle.

Signage and it must be over 8ft from the ground, or they can sue your. The good thing about decent paint (True anti climb) is it had a DNA watermark now days and can pinpoint the intruders if caught.
CCTV will may well need supplemental lighting.
A decent DVR will set you back £500 and cameras about £60. You can go higher but it all depends on your budget and fitting ability.

Some anti climb paint notes to remember.
Under the Occupier's Liability Act 1984 householders owe a duty of care to anyone on their property, whether they are entitled to be there or not. The duty is to protect people from an injury as a result of a foreseen hazard. If anti-vandal paint has been applied to a wall and an intruder slips and injures himself as a result, this is something that the householder could have predicted. Householders could also be caught up by the Highways Act 1980 if anti-vandal paint is used on a wall or surface which adjoins a public highway. The Highways Act states that care must be taken to avoid "harm or injury" to any person or animal using the highway.

That paint isn't an option Unfortunatly. Just looking for some CCTV.

A decent DVR will set you back £500 and cameras about £60. You can go higher but it all depends on your budget and fitting ability.

I would trust nothing less.
Did you miss the suggestions given?

to use it as evidence is the whole purpose of CCTV otherwise I wouldn't bother.
The "evidence" is only useful if the intruders can be recognised from it and then in court the clarity of images is good enough to prove beyond doubt the accused were the people in the CCTV image. And the evidence is only there if the intruders do not find and remove the recording device which they can then sell for a few pounds.

and scared them off but some CCTV with a HDD would be good.
Good for what ?

It is un-likely to scare any one wearing a balaclava or other identity covering headwear. So it offers no real protection to the site or people living there. It might present a mild deterant to the opportunist / casual intruders who do not have the right headwear.

CCTV has its place both as a deterrent and a valid way of collecting evidence which is usable. Even without facial shots clothing and other matches can be made, you seen to paint a poor picture about this medium Bernardgreen.
I always advise the recording medium to be placed in a secure area or even backed up remotely. I have even sold 2nd hand units as running dummies with the real being tucked away.

you seen to paint a poor picture about this medium Bernardgreen.
Low cost and/or poorly designed CCTV paints it's own poor pictures. Frequently so poor that proof by facial recognition is difficult if not impossible to achieve.

Matching clothing is only of use within a few hours of the incident when police are searching for the intruders. And even then it is only reason to suspect and arrest on suspicion. In court it is of little value especially if the accused's defence lawyer has arranged for several people in the public gallery to be wearing the same outfit as the accused was when he committed the offence.

I always advise the recording medium to be placed in a secure area or even backed up remotely. I have even sold 2nd hand units as running dummies with the real being tucked away.
That is sensible and is often not considered by the average DIY installer and sometimes even "professional" installers overlook the possibility of the recorder being stolen.

I agree to a point on that, which is why I never specify cheap equipment. I would rather not fit it than have to keep coming back after complaint after complaint. (As you can probably tell I have been down that road). A lesson well learnt. The same as anything to do with security. Pay peanuts get monkeys fitting thrash.

Trespass is a civil offence so what use is evidence if no damage has been caused?

Intent, threatening behaviour, list goes on.
Do you do much security work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back