help re cctv and installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I desparately need to have cctv installed
externally all around my property, a semi-detached house. From all the posts it seems that spending that little bit extra on quality cameras will
give the best picture.
can any one recommend suitable cctv systems,with long recording,clear
night vision cameras and ability to be viewed via smartphone. Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are so many, I personally couldn't recommend a single unit, there are others on the forum who have their preferences however. You would need a CCD as opposed to a CMOS camera for quality. Most DIY kits offer a colour camera which only shows black and white video at night. This can be overcome by mounting a Flood behind/ above the camera to obtain a colour video. The floods can be switched on by external pir's and in some cases by the unit itself. A good DVR would offer over 500GB of hard drive space, and maybe more.

This can be overcome by mounting a Flood behind/ above the camera to obtain a colour video.
Mounting the lights close to the camera will result in images lacking depth in the facial features. Put a dummy camera under the light and the real camera(s) elsewhere and the intruders will avoid looking at the dummy and thus give the real camera(s) a chance to get a clear full face image.

You are quite right Bernard. However, I didn't suggest that the flood should be mounted close to the camera. Been using this system for years, where necessary with no drawbacks.

Sponsored Links
i just set my own up at home and have used QVIS van-2601vfhwh cameras and a viola mb4l dvr unit...

the cameras have everything i want and a cool clear picture, they have a manual zoom facility as well and a very wide scope.

the dvr can record about a months worth at 12 fps... real times about 25..
its 500GB HDD..and 4 cameras.... about £250 for the dvr and £110 for the cameras. nextmodel up dvr wise is about £278 with a gig hdd and 8 cameras.

hope this helps..

andy

Well that sounds like a decent system, I hope it serves you well. There is another diy thing called a swann, a colleague of mine advised against it and gave his reasons, but the chap bought the swann anyway and reckons it's very good.. so each to his own I reckon.

Richard, regarding dummy cameras, your idea is good in principle, but personally I don't do dummy anything. If I take the trouble to get the thing bolted to the wall, I expect it to do a job. Most of the seven year olds in a particular district near myself can spot a dummy anything from three hundred yards. But your idea is O.K. and worth thinking about, if that's the way you do things. No one is going to knock you for your own tried and tested methods.

i just set my own up at home and have used QVIS van-2601vfhwh cameras and a viola mb4l dvr unit...

the cameras have everything i want and a cool clear picture, they have a manual zoom facility as well and a very wide scope.

the dvr can record about a months worth at 12 fps... real times about 25..
its 500GB HDD..and 4 cameras.... about £250 for the dvr and £110 for the cameras. nextmodel up dvr wise is about £278 with a gig hdd and 8 cameras.

hope this helps..

andy
hi thanks everyone for all the information. Andy, can you tell me where to find these that you've mentioned above. I really need 2 cameras at the front of my house, 2 at the back and possibly one on the roof. There is a street light out front but its dark at the back. If i put in a sensor light would 150w be enough for near the house?

150 watts at the back of the house ?

Any lighting is better than no lighting as far as cctv is concerned. 150 watts may be satisfactory. However, your suggestion re; detector is worth a try together with 500 watts, but it depends on the location. That said, we need to see what the specifications are on the setup you intend buying. We use 500 watt floods as standard without any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back