CCTV ranges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay if I was to look at CCTV and I broke them down into 3 categories:-

Budget
Good system
Money no Object

must be able to view over the net, night vision, good quality image from a distance. recording facility.

internal and external cameras possible.

Can link into alarm system to trigger DVR or stand alone cameras.

What should I look for.

Sponsored Links
The glib answer to your question would be "A professional security installer". :LOL:

Budget: ?

Good System: Dedicated Micros - Sprite, SD Advanced. I still like Dennard 2060 dome cameras, if you want PTZ. I've always liked Panasonic analogue cameras.

Inbetween: Mobotix M12 cameras (but their NVR software in rubbish)

Money no object: Avigilon megapixel cameras (20+ Mpx) and Server software.

These are my personal suggestions - there are loads of others. You need to decide if you want to stick to analogue cameras and a DVR (like the Panasonic cameras and a DM SD-Advanced) or enter the scary world of IP cameras, PoE switches, Server (NVR) software and other people's IT support companies. :confused:

I'm also happy with Samsung analogue cameras and baby DVRs and Sony's Ipela IP offering.

It's horses for courses...

Budget: ?

Good System: Dedicated Micros - Sprite, SD Advanced.

Dedicated Micros stuff is built like tanks and can be picked up for not a lot second-hand. Just vacuum out the 10 years of security room dust that accumulates. The network viewing on the older ones is a bit pants compared to newer stuff though.

lol may be I should make it clearer.
Setting up and port forwarding etc is no problem at all.

however when it comes to CCTV I know little about it other than some of the stuff that's been posted on here.

lets face it we all know you can by cheap rubbish and over priced tat.

I'll have a look at the systems you have suggested and see what questions I come up with.

Thanks for your honest opinion it is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you're buying second hand DM stuff, remember that you can't simply change the disk. DM put some special files on the replacement disks that they send out (to authorised companies) and you have to ftp the software onto the disk once you've installed it. This isn't a job for the amateur!

Ftp ing files isnt so hard making sure you have the right ones is another thing and to the right place.

Dont know enough at the minute to worry about second hand gear.

IT support is okay from my personal prespective but when third parties get involved it can get awkward I guess.

Realistically a simple DVR setup will be fine for domestic and many allow remote access with simple interfaces over ip that dont appear so difficult.

The only way for me to get to grips is have a play with one or two I guess and see how I get on.

For something mid-range why not consider the Honeywell HRG series DVR, fitted quite a few of these (the first one ever in the Birmingham area I'm told) this year and they are very good for the money. Easy setup and their remote apps are quite good too.

Problem is you'll struggle to get one online, this they're only available through ADI Global Distribution (Formerly Gardiner Security in some parts).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back