Wireless lighting - Feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purely want to find out if what I'm planning is feasible, I don't have the knowledge to carry out the work myself so will seek professional help when it comes to it.

Doing a full renovation, inc rewire.

So I've found a few cheap solutions to wireless lighting, and I know what I prefer.

1. Sonoff 4channel wifi switch to control living/kitchen. 2 more to control the rest of the house.
http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-4ch
http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-4ch-pro
These can mount on a Din rail, so thinking of having these on a empty consumer unit under my main one, and linking from there to physical switches and lights.

2. Sonoff Basic wifi switch to control all switches individually (I wouldn't do the whole house if this was the case, just the main rooms as I'd put access panels to repair these if they went wrong. Again, I'd want to connect to physical switch and lights
http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/sonoff/sonoff-basic

3. Sonoff Touch. My least favourite as it's a touch screen switch
http://sonoff.itead.cc/en/products/residential/sonoff-touch

So I think the main problem I'm having is figuring out how a normal light switch and light work together and how these could be incorporated in, to give me not only these smart switching but regular physical switches too.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Plan B:

Consider what might be so wrong with your life that you think using wifi devices to work lights is a good and sensible thing to do, and then address the cause, not the symptoms.

Way OTT in my opinion - although I do have some cheap remote adaptors so I can turn several table lights on via a handset rather than one by one

If your wifi dies you sit in the dark

Why do I need to justify that I want wifi light switches?

I'm doing a full house renovation and exploring an additional £50 spend to get a fully wifi connected lighting system in the house. Literally 0.1% of the budget, just want to know if the wiring is feasible and if so how it would connect up.

@Tigercubrider
"If your wifi dies you sit in the dark"

The first 2 options have physical switches that would be regular switches. the third option is a touch sensor switch, which again acts like a regular switch and works without wifi.
Maybe you have the idea confused with a system that has a wireless connection between the switch and the light? everything would be wired in the walls/ceiling.

Sponsored Links
I have wifi light control in my bedroom, to be frank it would be cheaper to use two way switches, but already had the system running for the heating and alarms, so lazy fitted one of these
MIHO025%20WEBSITE.jpg
at £20 it was a quick fix, OK without chrome £17 but I need the remote at hand anyway to cancel alarms when mother tries to escape so not including cost of hub. And it will work as standard switch it does not need the hub.

You need a deep back box, and no fixing lugs top and bottom, but other than that, like any normal switch. Using the if this then that you can do all sorts, have the light come one when snow is forecast, but some one has to write the app, without using apps it can switch on and off three times a day, same as sockets.

I also use the eTRV on same system, in theory you could use a relay and have it so when any eTRV has a target above the current the boiler fires up, however it seems no one to date has written the app.

There are other makes as well as MiHome, Hive I think do some, adverts all over the TV about switching your lights off with your phone. I could also switch lights from my phone, to date I have actually done this Zero times. Used timers yes, used remote controls yes, actually pressed the light switch, yes that's a novel idea, but used the phone, never.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back