Making Bathroom fan smart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sorry to mither you all,

I want to do use a sonoff mini r2 in my bathroom so it can work with my bathroom extractor fan through automation. The fan is a Manrose MF100 Mixflow inline fan (without timer) L and N only.

I want to automate the temperature and humidity sensor in the bathroom to turn the fan on when humidity is high and so on then turn it off when it has reduced to an acceptable automated preference. I will be able to programme/ switch on and off/ creates scenes for the fan from my phone. I will also use a remote wireless switch which will work with the sonoff mini r2 in the loft which can turn the fan on and off (saves having a wired switch)

However i only have 1 1way gang switch which controls the bathroom light. In order to do this, will I have to spur a loop out from the current bathroom ceiling rose circuit as if I want to put another light in another room. This will be a new circuit which I will use for the fan and not mess with bathroom light. (Should this be done or is it unnecessary?)

If I do decide to use the same circuit, do I just use the Loop Live and Loop Neutral? But fans without timer are meant to use switched Live and Neutral.

Do I need a fan with a Timer which will have a terminal for permanent live cable even if I will not be using the timer option?

I will also be using an isolation switch by the way

Do I need Permeant Live or Switched Live? I ask this as I need the sonoff mini r2 to have power

Thanks all in advance and thanks for taking your time for looking at this.

Sponsored Links
Two things come to mind, one it the part L building regulations, the other is part P building regulations, so a circuit = An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s). So everything supplied by a single fuse or breaker, if the circuit is classed as a final circuit, even if extra fuses are used, then it can't form another circuit English language does not support things like final final or very end etc. Except as a title like "very last of the summer wire."

You can go to the portal as easy as me, and read what is allowed, I am really not interested in the law.

However the main problem seems to be humidity sensors, I have tried to use them, up to around 80% they are not too bad, but as they get to the higher end your looking at water rather than humidity, and if a sensor gets wet, it takes ages to dry out, so set the sensor to 70% it can work, but then the rooms humidity needs to drop that low.

This varies home to home, my home showing 48 - 50% at the moment, and to be frank, at that simply don't need any extractor fan, last house often looking at 75%, and the % humidity raises in summer.

At the moment cold outside, so % humidity is linked to temperature, so outside air when heated is a very low humidity, but the reverse in summer, I will carry bottle after bottle of water out from my AC unit, as it removes moisture from the air.

So tried to use a humidity triggered fan in my dad's bedroom over his shower in his bedroom, in summer it would not switch off. And in winter would hardly switch on.

Occupancy sensors and timers seem to work far better, or if you want the best, then go for a heat recovery unit.

What you need to consider, does not matter how clever you are, some day some one else will need to repair it.

This varies home to home, my home showing 48 - 50% at the moment, and to be frank, at that simply don't need any extractor fan, last house often looking at 75%, and the % humidity raises in summer.

A workaround for that, would be a second sensor in a more general part of the house, if the RH of the bathroom is for instance 5% higher, then run the fan.

Occupancy sensors and timers seem to work far better, or if you want the best, then go for a heat recovery unit.

What you need to consider, does not matter how clever you are, some day some one else will need to repair it.

Absolutely, plus anything which relies upon the Internet to be able to work, is at risk of not working if the Internet goes down. I have a number of similar things which rely on the Internet, but I would not trust it to control anything crucial and what I do have, I limit to plug-ins, which are very easy to bypass. Even if the Internet is stable, the controllers can crash and lock up, needing a reset. Fine, if the system makes you aware there is a problem, but most do not - the first you know when you notice something isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Two things come to mind, one it the part L building regulations, the other is part P building regulations, so a circuit = An assembly of electrical equipment supplied from the same origin and protected against overcurrent by the same protective device(s). So everything supplied by a single fuse or breaker, if the circuit is classed as a final circuit, even if extra fuses are used, then it can't form another circuit English language does not support things like final final or very end etc. Except as a title like "very last of the summer wire."

You can go to the portal as easy as me, and read what is allowed, I am really not interested in the law.

However the main problem seems to be humidity sensors, I have tried to use them, up to around 80% they are not too bad, but as they get to the higher end your looking at water rather than humidity, and if a sensor gets wet, it takes ages to dry out, so set the sensor to 70% it can work, but then the rooms humidity needs to drop that low.

At the moment cold outside, so % humidity is linked to temperature, so outside air when heated is a very low humidity, but the reverse in summer, I will carry bottle after bottle of water out from my AC unit, as it removes moisture from the air.

So tried to use a humidity triggered fan in my dad's bedroom over his shower in his bedroom, in summer it would not switch off. And in winter would hardly switch on.

I have occupancy sensors around the house and didn't actually think about that.

Sponsored Links
I had a problem with the occupancy sensor built into Nest Gen 3, my wife had a new phone, and had not linked it to Nest, so only my phone linked, I use EE and the high winds early this year took out the EE mast, so Nest thought I was not at home and auto went to Eco mode, however every time one of us walked past the wall thermostat the occupancy sensor detected us, and set it back to comfort, the result was when we looked at the wall thermostat it always showed comfort setting, and heating, I had just not realised when we walked away after a set time it reverted to Eco mode.

In the end having a cold house looked as Nest on the PC and it clicked what was going on, I switched off the geofencing and house warmed up.

This is the problem with so called smart systems, I had never considered my phone stopping working would make my house cold.

I had a problem with the occupancy sensor built into Nest Gen 3, my wife had a new phone, and had not linked it to Nest, so only my phone linked, I use EE and the high winds early this year took out the EE mast, so Nest thought I was not at home and auto went to Eco mode, however every time one of us walked past the wall thermostat the occupancy sensor detected us, and set it back to comfort, the result was when we looked at the wall thermostat it always showed comfort setting, and heating, I had just not realised when we walked away after a set time it reverted to Eco mode.

In the end having a cold house looked as Nest on the PC and it clicked what was going on, I switched off the geofencing and house warmed up.

This is the problem with so called smart systems, I had never considered my phone stopping working would make my house cold.
True. However, it is a factor which one should have to consider. My home is pretty much all smart and i can live with that. If it goes wrong it goes wrong. In life, one has to carry out risk assessments. This bathroom fan is just what i am hoping i will get some help with on here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back