Wireless Replacement for Randall 102e5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Baxi gas fire with back boiler that gives gravity hot water and pumped central heating.

Can the Randall 102e5 that currently runs the system be replaced with a unit that has a wireless thermostat? (The options on the Randall are Water/Heating or Water Only)

I have seen the Honeywell CM927, is this compatible or if not, what is?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I currently have a Baxi gas fire with back boiler that gives gravity hot water and pumped central heating.

Can the Randall 102e5 that currently runs the system be replaced with a unit that has a wireless thermostat? (The options on the Randall are Water/Heating or Water Only)

I have seen the Honeywell CM927, is this compatible or if not, what is?

Many thanks in advance.
The wiring for systems like this is very straightforward, especially if you've got the basic model without any electronics.

Basically, when you want the water in your cylinder heated, mains power is supplied to the boiler's gas valve.

When central heating is required, mains is applied to the gas valve and the pump. The water in the cylinder will heat up too, whether you want it to or not.

I would have thought any programmer (wireless or wired) would be up to the task, though of course any option to have heating without hot water would not be usable.

Any professionals out there who can confirm this?

C.

I have found this product, Sundial RF² Pack 2 Wireless Enabled Programmer and Thermostat, would this be more suitable?

The RF2 is the one you need, as it is 2 channel, ie. one channel controlling hw, the other heating (or heating and hw in your case).

The CM927 is only single channel and more suitable for combis, where seperate hw control isn't required.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the information. I did read the instructions for the RF2 and it seemed to fit what I was looking for.

I was a bit worried that it days water or heating, but I suppose when it calls for heating it will heat our water up too due to the fact how our boiler is wired and works? Also, do you know if the RF2 would be compatible with how the Randell was wired (is it just a matter of wiring the RF2 in) or would something need to be changed there too?

Thanks again

Hi

These are the connections you need to make

RANDALL------------------------------Honeywell RF2
6------------------------------------------L
5------------------------------------------N
1------------------------------------------3
2------------------------------------------4

There is also earth (E) on the Randall which is not needed on the RF2. As long as you change over the wires as above, your hw will come on with the hw channel, and heating together with hw when you select the heating channel.

Ian

Hi, old post i know but I have the same equipment! I've replaced the exact above Randel with the exact Honeywell mentioned above but can't get the new Honeywell to work. The light comes on trying to make a call to the boiler but nothing happens.

Looking here though it looks like 3 isn't used on the Honeywell?

www.honeywelluk.com/documents/Full-Install/pdf/1105.pdf

Any help is much appreciated!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back