Wireless room thermostat: wiring for the receiver.

But what does that do?
It will replace the thermostat.
In effect you need to have the removed thermostat set to 'on' all the time.

There are separate 'turn on' connections in the boiler (or at the wiring centre) for the present timer and present thermostat.
In future you will only need one as the new programmer/timer/thermostat will do everything.

Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Yes thanks.

So the wireless thermostat controls the SCR for the on/off times, and temperatures.

I believe that my current installation has timing redundancy due to a programmable boiler programmer and programmable room thermostat.

Sorry, I had forgotten that but having reread I see you have the boiler programmer set to 24hour on and use the horstmann.

So, if you buy a remote that is just a thermostat then you will just connect the receiver connections to the same connections as those of the present thermostat.

For the sake of clarity:

The Horstmann boiler programmer is set to All Day (not 24 hours but could have been) because the boiler is a gravity system and we don't need hot water at night.
The Drayton Digistat 3 programmable wall thermostat is used to set the on/off times and temperatures.

So can I really connect the receiver to the wires currently used by the wall thermostat?

Sponsored Links
For the sake of clarity:
It hasn't worked.

Also the boiler has its own timer programmer that is set to always on 24 hours so perhaps I could dispense with that after wiring in the wireless receiver appropriately to the boiler centre.

If the new programmer does time as well as temperature then we're back to my post re: the link.

So back to square one.

I want to control the on/off times and temperatures. Typically on at 06:30, temperature 18, off at 08:00, frost protect temperature maybe 8, on at 17:00 temperature 18, off at 22:30, frost temperature maybe 8.

What wireless sender/receiver pair and connections would satisfy the above?

I want to control the on/off times and temperatures. Typically on at 06:30, temperature 18, off at 08:00, frost protect temperature maybe 8, on at 17:00 temperature 18, off at 22:30, frost temperature maybe 8.

All of the ones designed to do that.

I'm not being facetious, that's what they do.

Not recommending this one it was the first I could find.
http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/DigistatRFRoomThermostat.aspx

Please answer this - Does your boiler have an integral clock and programmer for separate HW & CH?

Ah! to make and break a continuity in a wire? I assume that domestic light switches have a mains supply circa 240V whereas the switch between volt free contacts of the SFC will not handle 240V.
Why assume that?

Must be hundreds of boiler and motorised valve designs which are looking for 240V to prod them into life. Anybody making a control device which couldn't control them wouldn't sell many...

All of the ones designed to do that.

I'm not being facetious, that's what they do.

Not recommending this one it was the first I could find.
http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/DigistatRFRoomThermostat.aspx

Please answer this - Does your boiler have an integral clock and programmer for separate HW & CH?
I'm not offended and just wanted confirmation.
The one you found is not programmable. Drayton has this programmable one though http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-3rf-room-thermostat/76816 . It is considerably more expensive than Horstman's http://www.screwfix.com/p/horstmann-hrfs1-programmable-room-thermostat/93829# .

My boiler does not have an integral clock. HW & CH cannot be programmed separately. It is a gravity fed system with just the one pump for C/H.

The one you found is not programmable.
Sorry, posted wrong one.
My boiler does not have an integral clock. HW & CH cannot be programmed separately. It is a gravity fed system with just the one pump for C/H.
Ok. but as I posted above you said it did.

In that case you will have to keep the horstmann and wire the new thermostat receiver to the same terminals as the old thermostat.

The one you found is not programmable.
Sorry, posted wrong one.
Ok. but as I posted above you said it did.
Ah! I see the source of misinformation from me. I wrote earlier:
"Also the boiler has its own timer programmer that is set to always on 24 hours so perhaps I could dispense with that after wiring in the wireless receiver appropriately to the boiler centre."
I meant that the Horstman boiler programmer did timing. It is fitted externally to replace the failed electro-mechanical timer that was on the face of the boiler.
In that case you will have to keep the horstmann and wire the new thermostat receiver to the same terminals as the old thermostat.
Mmm, the same as the advice of the electrician I spoke to who said I could do that myself. He seemed honest in not selling me his services unnecessarily.

Sorry about delayed reply. (Back from the Great South Run)

That's slightly more complex needing wireless:
- Cylinder thermostat. e.g. Danfoss CET B-RF Cyl Stat (£42)
- Room thermostat. e.g. Danfoss TP5000 SI Programmable room stat (£58 )
- Dual channel receiver to replace current Horstmann boiler programmer and
wire it to boiler terminals. e.g. Danfoss RX-2C RF Receiver (£67).[/list]
The above from bhl.co.uk

The boiler has a water temperature setting rotary control on its front panel so I'll have to take that into account.

As you know I was initially thinking of just a wireless Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat at £60 from Screwfix and wiring it at the current wall thermostat connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back