Wiring Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided to replace my Drayton Digistat 3 programmable room thermostat with a wireless Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat.
Currently the only wires connected to the Drayton are Live and Switched Live at 240V as below.
Drayton.jpg

There are 2 options for wiring the Horstmann as below.
Horstmann.png

Which one should I use please?

Sponsored Links
I'm losing the will to live...

If your Digistat is a battery model it only needs two wires (live and switched live).

The wireless receiver needs those two plus a neutral so you'll need to see what wires are available behind the existing stat.
..you will need a multimeter to confirm that the blue is neutral and if the red (or the yellow) is a permanent live.

It makes you wonder why you bother to try and help people.

Myson. The answer is the same as the one given in your other thread from last week
Why do you think you'll get a different answer if you ask the question again.??? :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you are now included in my (very) short ignore list and I encourage the other contributors on this forum to do the same.

People on here do not get paid to help total idiots like you.
Thank you for wasting my time. Goodbye, forever.

Why do you think you'll get a different answer if you ask the question again.??? :rolleyes:
That's easy to answer.

It's because he doesn't have a ******* clue how any of this works, he doesn't understand what CH controls do, he doesn't know what neutral is or why he needs one and so on.

He asked again because the first set of answers made as much sense to him as the workshop manual for a Tibetan starship.

Sponsored Links
It makes you wonder why you bother to try and help people.

Myson. The answer is the same as the one given in your other thread from last week

Congratulations, you are now included in my (very) short ignore list and I encourage the other contributors on this forum to do the same.

People on here do not get paid to help total idiots like you.
Thank you for wasting my time. Goodbye, forever.
There's no need to be rude.
The answers I received to my original question were significantly different from different people.
One type of answer was to solve the problem at the boiler connections.
The other was to solve it at the wall thermostat connections.
Oh by the way if you need any form of computer hardware or software advice and solutions I'd be happy to help.

There's no need to be rude.
Fair enough.
The answers I received to my original question were significantly different from different people.
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
One type of answer was to solve the problem at the boiler connections.
The correct way where all necessary connections will be available.
The other was to solve it at the wall thermostat connections.
Your preferred choice but the wrong way as probably not the necessary connections.
It depends how your boiler works - some use 240V, some 24V - we cannot tell from here and you appear not to be able to test.
Oh by the way if you need any form of computer hardware or software advice and solutions I'd be happy to help.
Thank you.
That's why there are computer technicians and electricians.

If I require a computer repaired I will get a computer technician.
You need an electrician.

You need an electrician.

Or a multimeter and 5 minutes of your time to respond to my simple question
.you will need a multimeter to confirm that the blue is neutral and if the red (or the yellow) is a permanent live.
My electrician said I should do it myself.

I have tested the wires with a multimeter:
yellow = live
red = switched live
blue = neutral
So I'll be installing that Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat.

Was your question:
"Why do you think you'll get a different answer if you ask the question again.??? :rolleyes: " ?
In mitigation may I state:
There were two different solutions suggested by forum members:
1. fit to boiler wiring
2. fit to wall thermostat wiring.
I really didn't want to implement solution 1.
I was hoping that there would in a new topic be answers agreeing to solution 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back