Wireless router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Netgear DG834G wireless router provided free when I took out our AOL wideband contract.

Rather surprisingly there was no USB wireless adapter supplied with it. Is that normal or a bit of rather sharp practice by AOL?

Looking at the Misco catalogue the USB adapters seem to vary in price between about £6 and £36 and the implication is that if you purchase a router you should buy that same make of USB adapter.

Are they all make specific or are some ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I used to have the same router, although not supplied by AOL.

Mine did not come with a USB wifi adapter, I bought the router from an online store.

*edit*

Sorry missed the last bit, any 802.11G adapter should work with your router.

In the old days of WEP encryption it was better to use the same make as then you could use a passphrase to generate the encryption key and an algorithm would create the hexadecimal code. These days with WPA-PSK you don't have to copy a 64 character hex key twice you can use a passphrase. Thus any make should work just a well.

These days I suppose they rely on most new pc's/laptops having WiFi capability so no need for a WiFi dongle.

Sponsored Links
If any wifi dongle really will work then why does anyone pay £36 if a £6 one will work?

Tony

same reason people by dewalt drills when they could just get a black and decker!

Better not open that can o' worms!

Back