Wireless Thermostat and Digital Hearing Aid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL

Apologies in advance for strange topic but ever since I have recently replaced my mothers old combi boiler with a new combi condenser boiler (including wifi thermostat) it has caused havoc with her digital hearing aid.

She has complained constantly that there is a mild droning/buzzing noise even when system is off (at mains/fuse spur) and also when system is in use. It is now seriously affecting both our healths as the issue is not going away and my mother cannot sleep at night because of this.

Can anyone advise if such interference could exist or does modern technology reduce such events from happening?

I am looking for some insight as BG Manager and Engineer are visiting for the 5 time early next week to try and resolve issue and it would be good to know if anything like this could occur in advance of their visit.

If this cannot occur then we will investigate the hearing aid itself despite the fact that this did not exist with the old combi boiler which we had for 15 years.

Many thanks for your time and assistance

Scott

Sponsored Links
Scott
this would me the kind of post i would jump on with wisecracks and funny pics

try the deaf society to see if they have any documented evidence of wireless stats interfering with hearing devices

could you find out what frequency the hearing device is set at, and post back that info along with wireless stat details

best of luck brother

Some rf roomstat susch as the salus have jumpers which can be adjusted which I believe alters the frequency that the two components communicate on.
Other than this I would simply be looking at having the thermostat hard wired. I'm supposing the rub for you is who's paying.
Check manufacturer's instructions and see if any notices regarding installation in property with digital eq't etc

She has complained constantly that there is a mild droning/buzzing noise even when system is off (at mains/fuse spur) and also when system is in use. It is now seriously affecting both our healths as the issue is not going away and my mother cannot sleep at night because of this.

What about when you take the battery out the wifi stat? just as a double check it is that.

Are AM radios effected? - Could be a problem with unshielded/suppressed motor somewhere.

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would do is establish whether it is definitely the 'stat generating the interference, and not some other changes you are unaware of (neighbours have fitted a wireless network router etc. etc.)

Assuming the wireless 'stat remote unit is battery powered, does removing the battery (or moving the remote unit - if it's portable, temporarily move it to the bottom of the garden!) AND shutting off the power to the boiler make any difference? You may be able to localise it to the base unit or the remote unit, as both will probably be sending transmissions if they are communicating.

If you can't stop the interference that way, then other possible sources may need investigating.

With all due respect, but does your mum not take her hearing aids out when she goes to bed, obviously thia isn't a cure but she might sleep at night.

rojaca - my post wasn't meant as a joke (if that's what you're laughing at)

genius I can accept, cheap jokes about the volnerable members of our community......... :evil:

I expect its a wireless stat ( not a WiFi stat!!! ).

A wireless stat usually operates at 433 Mhz ( WiFi at about 2400 Mhz. )

I can see no reason why any normal hearing aid should be interfered with by any low power radio frequency devices.

Have the batteries in the hearing aid been changed lately?

Has anyone else listened to the hearing aid?

I am sorry to sound sceptical but I can see no technical reason why anything like this should happen.

I am also surprised she does not turn off or remove the aid overnight!

Or is it so she can hear the alarm clock in the morning?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back