Wireless thermostat recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see a lot of threads about wireless room thermostats but as many of them are some years old I would appreciate some recommendations please.

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri boiler and am currently using an EPH CP4 wireless thermostat. I am not very impressed with this! I prefer to run thermostats in TPI mode for optimum comfort and energy saving but the EPH unit never gets to the setpoint - always about 0.5C below. Consequently there is a lot of 'short cycling' which doesn't really work with the variable flame boiler as this can take a couple of minutes from ignition to settle down. If I use the thermostat in 'normal' mode then, of course I get a huge overshoot above setpoint which then necessitates a significant drop in temperature before the sytems switches back on.

The heating installer has recommended Hive, without hub. I have also looked at Honeywell and Salus thermostats. The Honeywell T4R was mentioned on another thread that I posted recently.

Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Drayton Wiser is very good. You have wireless TRV's on each Radiator, and you can control the temperature in each room individually.

They're on Amazon Black Friday deals at the moment.

Drayton Wiser is very good. You have wireless TRV's on each Radiator, and you can control the temperature in each room individually.
Thank you.

I do like the idea of being able to control the temperature in each room separately - it makes sense but to install the Drayton Wiser would cost me around £500. (And that's assuming that I can do it all myself.) Would I get the return? Don't know is the short answer. I have read several reports of these motor driven radiator valves being quite noisy. Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic but I want to get this right having failed with the EPH CP4.

I have also been trying to avoid anything that needs the use of an app to get full functionality.

The TRV's do make noise, but the Drayton ones in my experience have been very quiet. You hear them if you're next to them, but you don't if you're in another room. Plus, in the few weeks I've had them installed, I would say I've heard them adjust maybe, 4 times in total for a period of maybe a second. I would put the annoying factor at about 1/100. So zero issue at all.

The app is clunky, but when you've set them up to how you want them to work, they do their own thing.

Return wise, I suspect quite quickly at the gas price now. Before where I was heating the entire house for 4 hours in the evening, I'm now heating just the front room and kitchen for about 3.5 hours, and then just the master bedroom for 1 single hour. If I want to use the 2nd bedroom for a guest, I'll turn that on for an hour as and when needed. I'm expecting around a third drop in Central Heating usage.

Cost me £258 to buy the Drayton a couple of months back with 5 TRV's.

Sponsored Links
I have just ordered the Drayton Wiser system. You could could get the version that just has a room stat for temperature control and add TRV's gradually over time.

Return wise, I suspect quite quickly at the gas price now.

I'm sure that you are right. Out of interest, and a fair amount of frustration, I put the EPH in to 'normal' mode this evening. Gas consumption has rocketed which was not a surprise and, like you, I have ended up heating the whole house despite the TRVs being wound right down. I'll take a good look at the Drayton system.

I have just ordered the Drayton Wiser system. You could could get the version that just has a room stat for temperature control and add TRV's gradually over time.

Let us know how you get on with it. Good idea just to order the room stat and then add to it. My reservation about having something with app control is that neither my wife nor I are spring chickens any more and, although we are reasonably tech savvy, we need a system that is straightforward in use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back