Wires in cavity - cavity wall insulation

Tell them you want the other stuff.

I don't why these chancers insist on bunging in this polystyrene stuff that attacks cables.

The bottom line is these cavity wall insulation people do not care one bit.

I'll ask if they have other stuff available! Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
I always used to keep the empty boxes for hifi type kit, just in case I moved, So when I did move house I repacked a number of items in ther original boxes and polystyrene blocks.
The house was a doer upper so it was best part of a year before the lounge was ready for hifi.
The knobs and front of amplifier, clear lid on record deck and base of CD player has been affected. the CD was easily fixed with a sheet of ali and as it happened the local hifi shop had a spare deck lid but the amp was a right-off as the bespoke knobs all but dissolved and the controls were totally not standard and the front panel had softened so much it was starting to sag like too thick paint.

The knobs and front of amplifier, clear lid on record deck and base of CD player has been affected. the CD was easily fixed with a sheet of ali and as it happened the local hifi shop had a spare deck lid but the amp was a right-off as the bespoke knobs all but dissolved and the controls were totally not standard and the front panel had softened so much it was starting to sag like too thick paint.

That's why they put the equipment in plastic bags, to isolate it from the polystyrene.

Sponsored Links
The company got back to me and they also have Provincial Seals CWI18 (http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/publicati...ltd/?doc=/1ArZ8k7LdUXrKX4FeBEWOU8pC4mAzbOPiM=)

This is a "granulated glass mineral wool fibre material" apparently.

This reacts less to the wires but unsure of it's properties in relation to damp. The certificate states that water won't pass through it in Section 7 but I'm unsure how that works in the real world. Presumably, as already has been mentioned, if the pointing is also checked then this mitigates the risk quite a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back