Wires INTO the cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a cooker which has no wires attached, and I am trying to put it in as a replacement for an existing cooker which is broken. I have turned off the cooker switch on the fusebox in the cellar, and also switched off the 'cooker' switch in the kitchen. I have removed the wiring from the back of the old cooker, but am a little confused. On the old cooker (which I did not fit), the red wire is connected to the terminal on the cooker with the black wires coming out of it, and vice versa. Is this correct? I would have assumed that red went to red and black to black, but the old cooker used to work fine. I am reluctant to continue without some guidance as I know how dangerous these things can be!

Sponsored Links
It would appear your old cooker was either incorrectly wired (but still worked, somehow) or the wires on the old cooker were coloured wrong. But yes you should go for red-red and black-black. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's what I've done. The oven seems to work fine but as soon as you switch the hob on it trips the circuit breaker in the cellar. I think the cooker must be faulty.

We have just bought a new Servis duel fuel
cooker.The wires at the back of the cooker
at the connecting points are white blue and
earth.But no red is the white in place of the red.Can anyone help.

Sponsored Links
It is a good idea to check to see if the wires are correct in the consumer unit. If they are reversed, then the wrong wiring configuration will have worked fine on the old cooker.
If the wiring is correct, you should check to see if the correct fuse is used. Also check that the wiring circuit is capable of holding enough current for the power output of the cooker. Cooker fuses are either 32 or 45 amp on MCBs, similar on normal fuses.
Wiring is 6mm or 10mm.
It may be better for you to contact a qualified electrician.

To JonPY,

Check the manual that came with the cooker - the terminals should also be marked - the one with L or LIVE would normally be conneted to your red cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back