Electric Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrical question..

I have a combination electric cooker with a gas hob.

There is a 30 Amp isolater switch on the wall above the cooker(big red switch says cooker on it), which then supplies a 13amp fused switch box nearer the cooker base.

I want to do away with the 30amp switch box, cause its right in the way of my cooker hood.

Am i correct is assuming, that because I've got a 13amp fused switch in the cooker supply, that I can get rid of the 30Amp switch box?

If i can get rid of the box, whats the best way to join 2 30amp cables together ?

Cheers for any help given.. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
An accessible junction box with a blank cover plate, using 30Amp connector blocks (preferably behind the cooker hood if it is a 'chimney type'

You will have 6mm cable inside the cooker switch but the fact that it goes to a 13-amp switched fused spur unit means the cooker is obvioulsly 'under rated' for the 30A circuit. You should also change your 30 amp CB/fuse in the consumer unit to a 15amp.

How would it be if I connected the two wires with a 30A connection block, and then added a small piece of chipboard the size of the retaining box and then plastered over the lot to completely get rid of it ?

Ps thanks for the help.

I agree no need for a 30Amp fuse in the Switch Box if its just running this cooker.

you are not allowed to do that, as alexnic said you should have "An accessible junction box with a blank cover plate, "

Sponsored Links
I hear what your saying, but I need it gone altogether, its right in the way of the cooker, and looks bad.

How can I get rid of it altogether ?

the only way yo can remove it altogether would be to dissconnect it at the consumers unit then rip it all out (but then you would have nowher to plug into) It has to be acessable for saftey sake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back