cooker

Is diversity to be used for designing individual circuits?
Or is its purpose to provide an assumed load to be used in assessing the maximum demand of the whole installation?
Seemingly either/both according to 311.1 - it says "maximum demand of an installation or part thereof".

As you will have seen, my concern is not with it's application to an individual circuit, but rather that the concept of diversity is not appropriate to non-probabilsitic things like the actual current which is flowing at the moment a switch tries to interupt it. I do personally think it appropriate that one should use diversity to create a situation in which that current could be greater than the rating of the switch - and I would personally regard that as an abuse/misuse of the concept of diversity.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Got the cooker and hob now
the hob is a induction one so the power is 7200watts, 30 amps
and the oven is 4900 watts, 20 amps
So if i do diversty it works out both on the same MCB 22amps
But if i do put in a 45amp or 50amp MCB i should be coved to put both on the same MCB
And the cable that is there is 10mm
How does this sound
Thank you

So if i do diversty it works out both on the same MCB 22amps
But if i do put in a 45amp or 50amp MCB i should be coved to put both on the same MCB
And the cable that is there is 10mm
The mcb rating is decided by the Current Carrying Capacity of the cable.

So for 10mm² cable 45 or 50A will be satisfactory.

However, if you choose 50 you will have to use 10mm² ( 45 - 6mm²) from the CCU to the hob and oven. It is unlikely that this will physically fit.

Therefore to compromise you should use 4mm² from CCU to hob and oven and use a 32A mcb.

Sponsored Links
So use a 32MCB, the 10mm cable leave that where it is, and from the 45amp cooker switch run down to a double cooker connection and use 4mm to the hob and oven
Sounds like a plan
Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back