Wires & sparks

never thought you guys in this forum would take this so personally as to call me an idiot. but anyways in st.lucia allot of people wire their own outlets every day, we wouldn't call an electrician for such a simple task. you guys seem to be the scientists behind electricity but as far as i can remember very simple people without all the knowledge you have, has been wiring houses down here, under the table down here ofcoarse, and as far as i can remember theres never been any report on the news about anybodies house burning down because of electric fire due to poor wiring. you guys sound knowledgeable enough so i would say where u come from maybe you need to know all that technical stuff, but to me to wire some simple outlets and a few light bulbs no regular st.lucian is going to pay you 5000 dollars to wire their house when they could get me to do it for 2500. and from my experience and watching other electricians work usually the wiring is always the same, the only thing that usually changes is the amperage of the breaker. we have one standard wire size used in all homes as far as i've seen, i may not know the wire size by name but when i see it i know thats it. A bigger wire size running for the earth rod back to the main box, and a bigger wire running from the meter to the main box, i may not be able to name the wire sizes but all st.lucians would know them because they are the same for almost every household as far as i've seen.

I didn't mean to disrespect any of you so sorry if you feel offended but i've just been telling you what i've come to know and been doing all my life, like many other st.lucians.

and i checked in your list of countries which lists st.lucia as 240v but its actually 220 which any st.lucian will also tell you. i'm still looking forward to ur responses, lol.

Sponsored Links
and i checked in your list of countries which lists st.lucia as 240v but its actually 220 which any st.lucian will also tell you. i'm still looking forward to ur responses, lol.

Actually, it's probably 230V nominal. But you don't have the equipment to check that.

And you still seem to think it's DC, which is highly unlikely.

Starjay, you are a classic example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

i never rated my ability higher than average. i accept that you guys know more than me, but i just don't see the importance of all that extra knowlege. i recognize the importance of your knowledge when you need to wire complex circuits like our 3 phase current pannels and maybe working on the poles or other big tasks like that.

for my purposes all i need to know is how to get power to the outlet, i don't need to know about fault back loop and all that ****.

we use the same current with england which i just found out is AC, so your right.

but anyways it dosen't matter whether we use 230, 240 or whatever, all the appliances we plug into our outlet are the same so we either know its 220 so we plug it straight into the outlet or if we get it from america and it says 110 we know we have to plug it into the transformer and its as simple as that. we wont go and take a whole course on electricity just to know to plug a 110 appliance into the transformer or a 220 directly into our outlets thats just common sense.

so dosen't anyone in your country just wire an outlet on their own without having gone to university to learn about electricity first or calling an electrician? out of curiousity

Sponsored Links
for my purposes all i need to know is how to get power to the outlet, i don't need to know about fault back loop and all that s**t.

You do if you want the protective devices to work properly.

we use the same current with england which i just found out is AC, so your right.

Yes, because we know what we're talking about.

so dosen't anyone in your country just wire an outlet on their own without having gone to university to learn about electricity first or calling an electrician? out of curiousity

Sure. Sometimes it goes fine. Other times people die, houses burn down, etc.

Not that you should need to go to university to understand basic electrical theory, but the state of the education system is another subject for another thread.

no regular st.lucian is going to pay you 5000 dollars to wire their house when they could get me to do it for 2500. and from my experience and watching other electricians work usually the wiring is always the same
.... i just don't see the importance of all that extra knowlege ... i don't need to know about fault back loop and all that s**t.
I take back what I said about you being an idiot.

You're a dangerous SFB moron.

Go away.

Very amusing thread! Love how stupid some people are!
Ignorance is bliss. Till the heavy mob arrive to seek recompence for the damage / injury the ignorant wannabe electrician's work has caused. Heavy with legal authority or just with a heavy baseball bat......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back