Wires to central heating timer..

I

imamartian

I have recently had a combi boiler fitted, and the plumbers removed the central heating timer by cutting the three wires leading to it, and just leaving them.

If i wave at current detector at them, it seems they still hold a current, but i can't understand where they might be connected. There is a fused spur alongside, but switching it on and off makes no difference the the cut wires.

Any thoughts how i can find out where they're connected, or what i should do with them now?
Can't get hold of the plumber...tried that !!

Sponsored Links
Until some of the sparks replys, you can start with switching off the MCBs one by one and waving the detector again. If for some MCB it doesn't detect any current, it might give you a clue where to look. If it still detects current for all the MCBs, your detector is not fit for the purpose.

What is this 'current detector'?

I imagine its very inaccurate, you should recheck it with an approved voltage indicator.

thanks, yes i'll try the elimination approach.

And i've been using a volt stick. I always test it on known cables etc, and it's never wrong?!

Sponsored Links
Try vigorously rubbing your voltstick against your inner thigh - it will light up, thereby convicing you that you have a live cable in your trousers . If you'd prefer not to arouse yourself, try it on your shirt sleeve. Then you'll see just how dependable those voltsticks are.

Lucia.

They have probably just took the fuse out of the switched fuse spur and left the flex connected....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back