identifying wires in hole in wall

I

imamartian

hi,

recently had a combi boiler fitted, and where the old central heating timer was, the plumber (or his sparky mate) took the timer off and simply cut the wires, leaving the wires in a hole in the wall.

There are two twin and earth (1mm sq) one three core and earth (red yellow and blue) and a separate sheathed earth.

Any ideas how i can determine where they're connected... and can i just plaster the lot up?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I presume you had a s or y plan system before, it is quite likely that all of the cables you have are redundant, if they have been safely disconnected and are all dead then you may as well plaster over them all.

They probablyare/were conneted to feeds, room stats, thermostat on the old water tank etc.

They should not be just plastered over unless you know for sure that the other end of each cable has been completely disconnected.

The electrical works should have come with a Minor Works Certificate. This will have the phone number of the electrician that did the work. Call him to check. Otherwise, you'll need to follow each cable to determine that it has been completely isolated.

I presume you had a s or y plan system before, it is quite likely that all of the cables you have are redundant, if they have been safely disconnected and are all dead then you may as well plaster over them all.

"s or y"? dunno? can you elaborate?

Sponsored Links
They probablyare/were conneted to feeds, room stats, thermostat on the old water tank etc.

They should not be just plastered over unless you know for sure that the other end of each cable has been completely disconnected.

The electrical works should have come with a Minor Works Certificate. This will have the phone number of the electrician that did the work. Call him to check. Otherwise, you'll need to follow each cable to determine that it has been completely isolated.

Didn't get any certificate... and it was over a year ago now... but i am on good terms with the plumber... would i still be reasonable in approaching my plumber now for some idea?

Didn't get any certificate... and it was over a year ago now... but i am on good terms with the plumber... would i still be reasonable in approaching my plumber now for some idea?

ALL electrical work should be tested and a certificate provided. In many cases the person just cannot be bothered.

Do ask your friendly plumber. Its then on his back if he tells you wrong...

I meant a central heating system with a boiler, indirect water cylinder, seperate valves perhaps a seperate pump from the boiler). Ask the plumber if he minds checking for you or getting his sparky mate to check for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back