Are wires live?

I

imamartian

Just had a combi boiler fitted (bear with me... it gets electrical in a mo :rolleyes: ), and the sparky they used, has taken the timer away just cutting the wires and leaving them exposed in the hole. Thing is, if i stick a volt stick in the hole, it bleeps as tho there a live in there somewhere...

Also he has left the switch for the immersion heater (obviously the tank has gone), but i've turned that off in the CU.

The timer hole has four cables, two t&e, one three core and earth and another single sheathed earth.

Question is, where's the power to the timer coming from? Would it be live? or could an induced current be setting off the volt stick?

Sponsored Links
from the old boiler spur?
are you certain the immersion spur has no power,if so how did you verify this?

check it with a proper combi check and post the results

from the old boiler spur?
are you certain the immersion spur has no power,if so how did you verify this?

check it with a proper combi check and post the results

there's nothing in the CU for the old boiler, and the new boiler just 'taps' into the lighting ring in the loft.

the old immersion switch does have power, and it's own circuit in the CU.

will do the check, and report back....

Ta

Sponsored Links
If the new boiler is near where the immersion used to be, why on earth didn't he just use the wiring for that to power it??? He should have made safe the old immersion wiring, that doesn't just mean isolate it at the breaker and leave the wiring in place...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back