Immersion Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought an "easy-wire" 7-day timer switch for my immersion heater that I was going to wire up myself (I've done a bit of wiring on sockets/lights etc).

Problem is the installation instructions in the new switch assume the wiring is twin+earth, but in my case, one of the wires has 3 cores+earth while the other is T&E.

The 3 core wire has blue, brown and black wires connected to different terminals in the old switch (IN1, OUT2 etc), and the new switch just has Live, Earth and Neutral terminals.

So which is my extra wire and which terminal in the new switch does it go to?

Sponsored Links
I'll check and post it back here later today/tommorrow..thanks

The black is connected to the terminal marked "OUT2" on the switch and the brown is connected to termian marked "1WAY".

Or do you mean what is the black connected to at the connection with the cylinder.....?

Sponsored Links
Any such information would be useful but what I'd really like to know is:

How many terminals do you have on your switch?
What markings do they have?
What wires are in them?

and finally

How many rockers has it got?

My suspicion is that you have a dual heating element in your cylinder: a long one to heat the whole tank and a short one to heat a sinkfull.

Hi Felix - thanks for your interest

Your suspiscion is correct. The switch has two rockers - one for a bathful and another for a sinkful.

Has for the wiring:
3core + earth from cylinder to switch
Blue wire - no markings on terminal
Brown wire - terminal marked 1 WAY
Black wire - terminal marked OUT2
T&E from fusebox
Black wire - terminal IN2
Red wire - IN1

Also there is a short length of wire connecting the "COMMON" and "OUT1" terminals

The timer switch I got has bog 2 live terminals and 2 neutral terminals + earth.

So do I need to get a new timer switch?

if you want seperate timer control of the two elements yes

you could also put the timeswitch before the current switch (so the timer can just turn it on and off and you have to set the power manually)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back