Boiler wiring...

I

imamartian

We recently had a new combi-boiler installed. All was well and good, but they did leave me to tidy up one or two things. The main thing being the hole in the wall, and the cut cables from the old central heating timer (those rectagular grey things with a timer wheel, and the two switched beneath).

Now there are four cables in the hole....2 x twin and earth, 1 x 3 core and earth (red/yellow/blue) and then a single, sheathed earth cable.

The plumber said that they were all dead cables, as everything they'd been connected to had been removed.

However, the other day i stuck a voltstick into the hole and it lit up - although only on one of the twin and earth cables. Now i know voltsticks are not accurate, but i'm now concerned about what's going on.

My gut feeling is that this is just an induced current.... but what's my best course of action?

Would it be safe to cut the power, strip the cable ends and put chocblocks on? Then can i bury them in the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You cannot just bury cables in the wall without knowing they are disconnected and cannot be re-connected.
Isolate all power, strip them into connectors and test them with an approved voltage tester. You need to ensure that any Neutrals are disconnected also to ensure complete isolation and prevent RCD trips.
If there are any live cables you will need to disconnect them from the source.

You cannot just bury cables in the wall without knowing they are disconnected and cannot be re-connected.
Isolate all power, strip them into connectors and test them with an approved voltage tester. You need to ensure that any Neutrals are disconnected also to ensure complete isolation and prevent RCD trips.
If there are any live cables you will need to disconnect them from the source.

Will do that. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back