Two external wall lights to internal switch.

Thats because only Winston 1 and now yourself are concened about it, we all know what he refers to and the lights are connected one after another which is what "series " means, there is no such electrical term as daisy chained in the UK.
Series and parallel connection you refer to is more an electronics term, i struggle to find any situation where mains voltage lights would be wired in series as you imply, except in Bernards house :)
I am sorry if I offended you with my comment BUT the OP has few posts on this site, indicating that he may not be as "expert" as you or I may be. Hence, unlikely as it seems, he may have intended a series connection.

Of course there is no "electrical" term as "daisy chained" but, in "common" usage it implies starting from the beginning and going on to the next and the next etc.

Please do not cast me in the same mould as Winston 1.

Sponsored Links
I agree.

NOT correcting someone who says he is going to connect his lights in series would be negligent - even though we know that after saying that it is virtually impossible that he would in fact connect them in series as that would require, for one thing, a red/brown wire in the neutral terminal Or connecting the red/brown to the supply neutral.

upload_2018-8-14_12-13-15.png

If correct terms are not used then there is no point having separate words for different things.

i struggle to find any situation where mains voltage lights would be wired in series as you imply, except in Bernards house :)
At one time I had two fearsomely bright 230V projector lamps wired in series in my loft.

And, true they aren't mains voltage lamps, but if ever ICBA to find some suitable lampholders, I'm going to convert 7 or 8 bulkhead lights to take 36V 400W lamps and wire them in series.

Sponsored Links
I agree.

NOT correcting someone who says he is going to connect his lights in series would be negligent - even though we know that after saying that it is virtually impossible that he would in fact connect them in series as that would require, for one thing, a red/brown wire in the neutral terminal Or connecting the red/brown to the supply neutral.

If correct terms are not used then there is no point having separate words for different things.
Thank you.
And what, may I ask, do you mean by that?
I wrote "Please do not cast me in the same mould as Winston 1."
For what ever reason, one may have a great deal of "fun" in postulating one's particular beliefs on any site, whether those beliefs relate to nomenclature in the English Language or to anything else.

I have an interest in discussing "Electrical Topics" on several sites which I have found - so far.
The sites concerned are this site, https://www.renovateforum.com/f195/ and https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/
Recently, certain topics on https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ were brought to the attention of those on this site and one member of this site chose to become a member there and comment.

To quote Mr Scott on Star Trek, "Ye cannae change the laws of physics".
Because of this, I feel quite free to comment on any and all sites relating to the "Physics" concerned.
However, I would never comment as regard to any regulation in any other country than my own, however I may perceive them to be!

As it happens, I quite agree with your pedantry concerning the original use of the word "Transformer" to mean a device which changes/converts a particular AC Voltage to another AC Voltage at the same frequency by means of two magnetically coupled coils of wire.

However, in English, the word "transform" means "change".
Hence, I do not have the problem which you may have when considering the terms "DC - DC Transformer", "Electronic Transformer" etc. I do know that these devices are "Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)" and I do have an appreciation of how they operate.

Also, I mentioned several sites and I am sure that you would have a wonderful time explaining to our North American "cousins" on https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ how wrong they are in referring to a SPDT switch as a "Three Way Switch" (because it has three connections) - when we know that it is a "Two Way Switch". Of course, they go on to refer to an "Intermediate Switch" as a "Four Way Switch" (because it has four connections).

As much as this erroneous nomenclature irritates me, I do try to refrain from comment when posting on that site.

As to the potentially dangerous construction of their switches and socket outlets with exposed screws, words fail me!
Please note that which I wrote at https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/wiring-light-switch-issues-638161/ in comparison with UK, European, Australian practice: -

"By the way, do note how all of those UK screws, connections etc. are "shrouded" in plastic insulation and unlikely to be contacted during installation.
Contrast this with the side exposed screws of switches, socket outlets etc. used in North America - which would be unlikely to gain approval if introduced today in any OECD country."

Recently, illustrating my concern concerning this, there has been this exchange on that site : -
https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/sparks-blown-fuse-damaged-ground-638783/

Last edited:
... I am sure that you would have a wonderful time explaining to our North American "cousins" on https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/ how wrong they are in referring to a SPDT switch as a "Three Way Switch" (because it has three connections) - when we know that it is a "Two Way Switch". Of course, they go on to refer to an "Intermediate Switch" as a "Four Way Switch" (because it has four connections).
I wouldn't even try, since those are the people who, for example, say "I could care less" when they mean the opposite ("I couldn't care less") - and don't seem to understand the illogicality of their phrase even when one asks them about it :)

Kind Regards, John

Contrast this with the side exposed screws of switches, socket outlets etc. used in North America - which would be unlikely to gain approval if introduced today in any OECD country."
And what's more, AIUI, different metals are used for the screws, and the colours used to identify polarity.

The USA is an OECD country, BTW...

The USA is an OECD country, BTW...
Yes, I Know.

However, I wrote - "which would be unlikely to gain approval if introduced today in any OECD country."
Note the word "today".

I am implying that North America (USA and Canada) is "stuck" with their "standards", some of which (I believe) would not be allowed to be "introduced" into those countries or into any other country where there were any considerations concerning safety in this day and age.

Last edited:
I am implying that North America (USA and Canada) is "stuck" with their "standards", some of which (I believe) would not be allowed to be "introduced" into those countries or into any other country where there were any considerations concerning safety in this day and age.
Yep, but that's a pretty universal phenomenon - think of the likes of tobacco and perhaps even alcohol. Standards, attitudes and expectations change.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I Know.

However, I wrote - "which would be unlikely to gain approval if introduced today in any OECD country."
Note the word "today".

OK - gotcha

It is unlikely, because the other kitchen switch is a standard 4 gang 2way, but the only thought I had was that perhaps there were dimmers that had gone OC because of a blown lamp.

OK, scrap that, there are two separately switched lamps (or sets of lamps) that have gone down so this is highly unlikely.

The other possibility I can think of would involve the two T&E cables being connected together, but this was not the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back