Live looped at the switch, neutrals at lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Single core live and earth looped in at switches and live coming back up from switch to turn lights on/off.
No neutrals in switches except some switched lives on two-way switches.
Single core neutral cable looped in at the light.

I have twin and earth cable. What's the best way to loop in additional lights as the lives and neutrals would need to be looped in at different locations?
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Single core neutral cable looped in at the light.
Maybe some photos - are you sure they are neutral , colour does not mean neutral necessarily

can you loop in from the existing light and daisy chain , if they are all switched on with the same switch

I'm looking to add a new 1 gang switch and two lights.

I have attached pictures of a 1 gang switch and the light it turns on.

The black wires in the lights loop around the lights and appear to be neutrals (wired to neutral in light and live comes off a red wire at the switch).

Attachments

• Switch.png
    Switch.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 50
Can we have more pictures of the switch wiring in particular showing where the earth wires(s) come from?

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded a couple more photos for the switch.
The earth wires seem to be from the single-core live and earth cables

Attachments

• Switch - Earth Wires.jpg
    Switch - Earth Wires.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Switch - Connections.jpg
    Switch - Connections.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 38
To add more lights, you can only follow the same method by extending the Line(live) from the switches and Neutrals from the lights.

You could run a Neutral from an existing light to new switch and then to new light - or vice versa - if the locations made that easier.

To add more lights, you can only follow the same method by extending the Line(live) from the switches and Neutrals from the lights.

You could run a Neutral from an existing light to new switch and then to new light - or vice versa - if the locations made that easier.
@EFLImpudence The light looks to be in an accessible loft space. Could the OP identify the live feeds looped to the switches and insert a junction box with the looped neutral, then feed new switches and lights using T&E

Additional lights - where?

Please be aware that your lighting circuit needs RCD protection too

If the live loop is buried in the wall and terminations not accessible anywhere other than switches the thing I'd suggest is add a junction box to one of the live cables, It is possible that the cable running bottom left to top right for example.

EDIT: I've done it again, I started writing this reply before preparing lunch, in the mean time Derycks comment it probably easier to follow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back