external ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for your advice. I want to connect an external ceiling light to my porch canopy. The electrical wiring coming from the house through the canopy consists of live, neutral and earth wires, together with a second and thicker earth wire. The connector box on the ceiling light has the following: labeled 'Mains Supply In': consisting of Earth, Neutral and Live connector boxes; and 'Switched Load Out': consisting of two live boxes labeled 'L' and 'L1'. The 'Mains Supply In' 'Live' connector box is already connected to the Switched Load Out 'L' connector box by a Factory fitted bridge wire. I should be grateful if you could advise me to which connection points in the ceiling light housing I should connect the live wire and the two 'earth' wires from my porch ceiling.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like this is a light with a built in movement sensor. Do you want to use it as a fully automatic light? If so, wire the live into MAIN SUPPLY IN, the neutral into NEUTRAL and the earths into EARTH. Make sure you've identified the wires correctly and they are as you say. Was there a light there before? The L and L1 out are for additional lights if you need them.

sparkyspike said:
It sounds like this is a light with a built in movement sensor. Do you want to use it as a fully automatic light? If so, wire the live into MAIN SUPPLY IN, the neutral into NEUTRAL and the earths into EARTH. Make sure you've identified the wires correctly and they are as you say. Was there a light there before? The L and L1 out are for additional lights if you need them.

Hi Sparky, I am most grateful for your reply. There was a light in place before, and I am now replacing it. You are right that it has a built in movement sensor, which has confused me a little because I would be quite happy with one controlled on/off by the internal wall switch in my hall. I was confused by the 'Switched Load Out' side of the connector housing, not having come across this before, and thought that perhaps I needed to connect the live wire to connector point L1 on this side. But I thank you for you advice to connect the live wire to the Main Supply In, and ignore the 'Switched Load Out' connectors. This is a single outside light and I do not intend adding any more additional outside lights through the connector housing. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You may still be able to use it as a manual light by using the lightswitch. Check the instructions. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back